Guru Mediation for Win7 guest on Linux Mint Host

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
JowivK

Guru Mediation for Win7 guest on Linux Mint Host

Post by JowivK »

Hi,
For some weeks now I have had the problem that my virtual Win7 machines would either work on my desktop or on my laptop.
I have two identical Linux Mint 18.3 setups on 2 different machines. The disk image is stored on a NAS server. From the desktop, I can start the Win7 Machine just fine (I know, a bit slow due to network, but that is OK.)
When I set up the Virtualbox latest version on the laptop, and install the same virtual Win7 disk, I always get as far as the "Guru Meditation" only ("Schwerwiegender Fehler ....." as I am on a German system)
The log is pretty long of course, so I only post the last part here:

[ text deleted by mod ]

The break seems to be the Virtual CPU error, which I do not understand. I have made sure that both Virtualboxes have the same system parameters for CPU as well as for graphics.

Please help somebody, or let me know if you need the full log or the png picture file.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by mpack on 28. Mar 2018, 10:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted useless truncated pasted text.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Guru Mediation for Win7 guest on Linux Mint Host

Post by andyp73 »

Please can we have the full log file (zipped of course). The guru meditation is the symptom, the cause may well be further back up the log file in the bit you haven't given us.\

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

A truncated, pasted log is not useful. Please provide the complete log as a zipped attachment as Andy has said. In my meantime I deleted the "noise" from the original post.
JowivK

Post by JowivK »

Hi and thanks for getting back so quickly!
Sorry about the log file. The zip, including the png showing how far the Windows startup process is getting, is attached.
Allow me to point out in both setups for this client, on the PC and on the laptop, I have specified that the virtual hard disks can be connected to multiple servers "mehrfach anschliessbar"). No effect from this change.
Would you want me to change the language of Virtualbox to English to get the original menu names,or this post to German?
Thanks again!
Johann
Attachments
Logs.zip
(80.31 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

The main thing I notice that that you have VT-x enabled on an old core 2 mobile processor that doesn't support it. Try disabling this in the VM settings, but you'll need to use the command line to do it:-

Code: Select all

VBoxManage modifyvm "Win7 Laptop" --virtex off
Btw, this means that you won't be able to run any version of Windows later than Win7 on this notebook.

Also, it is not a good idea to run the same version of Win7 from hosts with different CPUs. It can cause crashes, and it will cause deactivation.
JowivK

Post by JowivK »

Hi!
Thanks again for responding so quickly.
You are right of course: The Desptop PC has a dual core processor, the laptop does not.
So this will preclude me from using one virtualbox disk image on the two systems?
It only makes sense for me to use this uniform virtual system on different computers if these have different hardware, like Laptop and Desktop.
I am fine with using WIN7, I do not believe in updating all these stupid Windows versions anyway, that is why I switched to Linux for all my standard work. There are only very few programs which I have to use which only run in Windows (and not even in WINE).
Re this change suggestion: On which system do I run this command, Desktop, Laptop or both? Initially I had set up the Virtualbox Win7 system on the dual core Desktop, but I had since specified in the settings for both systems that I want the virtualbox system to run as a single processor system. Obviously, that was not enough. Does that mean that I should modify something in the Win7 image, which I have on my external storage?
Thanks again!
Johann
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

You should run the command on the system you gave me the log from.
JowivK

Post by JowivK »

Thanks again.
When I run that code, I get the error that the machine cannot be found. And that is with "" around the name or without.
Possibly I have to copy the external image to my laptop first in order to change its settings?
The image is 120 GB large, so that is an effort that takes some time....
Cheers!
Johann
JowivK

Post by JowivK »

Hi again!
Now I got the image on my laptop and tried the code.
However, I got the error that the command --virtex does not exist. In the help file I found a command called --hwvirtex. I used that, inputting "VBoxManage modifyvm JowiWin70 --hwvirtex off", it did something. But the virtual Win7 still does not start. Same "fatal error" at the end of the process starting Windows.
Any other ideas?
I am attaching the log file again, the system is now called JowiWin70, which is the name of the vdi file.
Thanks
Johann
Attachments
Logs.zip
(82.79 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
buongiorno
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: os

Post by buongiorno »

i too having the problem loading with disk image is stored on a NAS server. From the desktop, I can start the Win7 Machine just fine but when loading on virtual sever its just get error.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Yes, sorry, "virtex" was a memory fail, "hwvirtex" is correct.

Re the log. Well, this can't be a generic Windows 7 guest, because VirtualBox says that the guest is trying to execute self modifying code - which is a big nono since the 1990s, not something that Win7 itself ever does, and certainly is incompatible with running in a VM without the additional protections provided by VT-x. If you can start this guest in safe mode then you can maybe identify what third party code is pulling that stunt and get rid of it. Failing that you may need to install Windows 7 from scratch, from a genuine install DVD (or ISO image of same).