Cannot access Ethernet from Windows XP machine

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
EcksPee

Cannot access Ethernet from Windows XP machine

Post by EcksPee »

VirtualBox version: 5.2.8
Host OS: Windows 10 Home x64, 12G RAM
Guest OS: Windows XP Professional SP3 x64, 4G RAM
Ethernet connection: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Yesterday, I installed a fresh copy of Windows XP Professional "SP3" on VirtualBox. Everything worked fine, including the internet. However, after trying to install Firefox, I was notified that my machine needed SP2 or above. I then realized after going into the settings that the .iso I downloaded did not actually have SP3 installed, so I deleted it and installed an actual copy of SP3 (including product key). It was the same exact clean copy of Windows, but it included Service Pack 3 and SATA drivers (not sure if it actually included SATA drivers though). This copy just did not want to run the internet. Control panel said the cable didn't exist, and so did Internet Explorer 8's troubleshooting system. Disabling the firewall did nothing. I tried changing VirtualBox to a bridged connection an then a host-only connection, but neither worked. I included a copy of the log and hardening files. My host PC is directly connected to the router, and the internet works perfectly fine at 75Mb/s on the Windows 10 host. Thanks for any help.
Attachments
VBox.log&Hardening.zip
(47.03 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Cannot access Ethernet from Windows XP machine

Post by mpack »

"The ISO I downloaded"? If your copy of XP is not legal then we cannot help you use it. In fact if your copy of XP is not completely standard then we wouldn't even know how to help you.
EcksPee

Post by EcksPee »

mpack wrote:"The ISO I downloaded"? If your copy of XP is not legal then we cannot help you use it. In fact if your copy of XP is not completely standard then we wouldn't even know how to help you.
I have a legal product key, but I don't know how to legally download the actual file. Is there a way I can get it from Microsoft, or would I have to buy a physical copy?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

If you install XP from a standard installer, using a VirtualBox VM and do not change any XP template defaults, which selects NAT networking among other things, then Internet access from the guest will just work, that's why the defaults are set up that way. Change any of these variables then it's probably fixable, but you need to know what you're doing.

As to where to buy XP, I bought mine on eBay as a physical OEM CD and converted it to ISO myself. At that time XP was quite expensive (it was EOLed but still the most popular desktop OS). These days the price is way down and many sellers will offer you a download link in the sale, so you don't have to wait for physical media to arrive. Just make sure that what you buy is a proper XP install CD and CD key. That would mean no branded editions (no mention of HP, Dell etc), not an upgrade version, or a recovery disk. Anything that includes SP3 on the same CD can't be legit since service pack 3 came out years after XP stopped being available on any distribution channel. A genuine XP will require you to install XP (which includes SP2), then you can install the final service pack.