Seagate Personal Cloud - Turn off/on Network location

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
RaynMan

Seagate Personal Cloud - Turn off/on Network location

Post by RaynMan »

Several months ago I switched from Windows to Manjaro and am currently running Windows 7 as guest.

Seagate's dashboard does not work in Linux. I tried to run it on my Widows guest but it does not recognize it.
I can view the files that I put on the drive before in Linux, but not on the guest box.
I'm guessing it might be because I need to disconnect it in Linux to connect it in Windows, similar to how USB ports work. However, I don't know how to disconnect it from Linux. With a USB port all I have to do is right-click it on the guest machine and it disconnects it from Linux and connects it to the guest.

I have searched for a long time and couldn't find anything that's even close to the issue I have, so I may be way off base in why I can't see the drive from my windows guest box.

Has anyone successfully connected a Seagate Personal Cloud drive on a Windows guest machine? If so, how?

Thanks,
RaynMan
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Seagate Personal Cloud - Turn off/on Network location

Post by BillG »

It could simply be that the gust OS cannot see the Seagate. How does the host access the drive? Is it a network device?
Bill
RaynMan

Post by RaynMan »

Thanks for the reply Bill.
It connects directly into my modem/router.
Linux displays it under "Other Locations". Windows doesn't display it at all.

RaynMan
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

You probably need to use bridged networking in the vm so that the vm gets its network config from DHCP in your router and is in the same network as the host and the router. By default, the vm uses NAT.
Bill