Capturing DV footage from old camcorder

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Bobs-ur-uncle

Capturing DV footage from old camcorder

Post by Bobs-ur-uncle »

Hi all

So I have a midrange laptop running Windows 10 (64 bit) and an old Avid Liquid Pro break out box, which has a firewire input and outputs to USB 2.0.

This is the setup Camcorder ---> firewire on the box---> USB on the box ---> laptop

According to Avid / Pinnacle forums the box's drivers only work on 32 bits system and is so old, that they recommend using Windows XP.

So I've found an old XP cd and installed it in Virtualbox (32 bit).... I also installed the box's drivers (it's recognized by the OS, etc)

The problem is that I can capture only a few seconds of video before it starts dropping frames like mad. The final result is only a few seconds of video with about 3% of total frames caputured. I've tried using Movie Maker, Avid Liquid 7 and other capture sofware.

I think it may be a problem related to the VIDEO DRIVERS that come included with Virtualbox. They somehow do not seem to be properly recognised by the capturing software. How can I make sure it has the absolute best drivers installed? How do I tweak things in that area

Thanks.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Capturing DV footage from old camcorder

Post by mpack »

Not a "Using VirtualBox" forum question. Moving topic to "Windows Guests".

Please provide a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click it in the GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.

I should warn you that a VM is not built for top I/O throughput, and a "mid range laptop" may not be either. Do the Avid driver installation instructions specifically say that they'll only work in XP? I appreciate that you need a 32bit OS, but 32bit variants of Windows didn't end with XP - e.g. Windows 10 is available in 32bit form. If it was me I'd find some old PC and install Win7-32bit on it.