[Solved] Mouse clicks but cursor will not move on Windows 10 guest Virtualbox 5.1.32

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
rgietzen

[Solved] Mouse clicks but cursor will not move on Windows 10 guest Virtualbox 5.1.32

Post by rgietzen »

I have a Windows 10 guest installed on a linux host. When I first set this up the mouse worked perfectly. The extension packs and guest additions are installed. Both are up to date and have been installed since the most recent update in Jan. I have virtualbox version 5.1.32, which is the most up to date version for Opensuse.

Recently the mouse stopped working properly. As soon as I start the machine, the cursor will not move with the mouse, but it still responds to the mouse clicks. I have pressed the "right control" button on and off with no results. It turns on and off the icon in the lower corner, but doesn't fix the problem. I can only move the mouse by using the small rubber control on the keyboard. When I move the mouse out of the guest OS screen and over the host screen, the problem is still there.

As you can imagine, this makes the virtualbox guest almost unusable.

Any ideas how to fix this!

Thanks,
Roger
Last edited by socratis on 18. Mar 2018, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
rgietzen

Re: Mouse clicks but cursor will not move on Windows 10 guest Virtualbox 5.1.32

Post by rgietzen »

Update: I have localized the problem to the guest additions (small surprise). When I uninstall the package, the mouse will move the cursor. It is a short-term workaround, but not a great solution. Even then the mouse capture button doesn't work, so the mouse is trapped in the guest. The only way I found out is to power down the guest OS.

Also I did try removing the extension pack. That didn't help at all, as long as the guest additions were installed. And I was able to reinstall it and use the above workaround, as long as I uninstalled the guest additions, within the guest OS.

I'd love to have a functional guest OS. Does anyone recognize the problem? Any ideas?
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

rgietzen wrote:I have virtualbox version 5.1.32, which is the most up to date version for Opensuse.
If you look on the Linux downloads page you will find the current version (v5.2.8 as of writing) available for opensuse - assuming you aren't using an ancient version of the latter - along with installation instructions.

I would recommend installing that, updating the extension pack and installing the guest additions to match. If the problem persists then provide a log of the guest VM (zipped of course) so we can see if there is anything obviously wrong.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
rgietzen

Post by rgietzen »

Problem solved!

The guest additions were outdated and my first attempt to update them was flawed. Here is what I had to do to fix it:

In the guest OS (Win10) I used the folders app to navigate to "PC". There I could see the old iso file for the guest addition in the CD drive. I EJECTED the file. Forgot this the first time and so even though I downloaded the update, I essentially reinstalled the old version. After ejecting, I downloaded the updated version and made sure to click on it. After install everything works great! So happy. :D

Regarding the 5.2.8 version, it is listed for Leap 42.1, but I have 42.3. When I navigate to the options available for Leap 42.3, the v5.1.32 is the only official option. Another way to verify this is by searching through Yast. Again, it only shows v5.1.23.

Anyways, problem solved!