A disk read error occurred

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Iris Leung

A disk read error occurred

Post by Iris Leung »

Your help is appreciated.

Upon Normal Start to the Oracle VM VirtualBox:-

A Disk read error occurred
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

With Endless Blessings in the Son of God,
LEUNG, [Ms.]
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: A disk read error occurred

Post by socratis »

This is an error from within your guest. Deal with it as a guest problem, not a VirtualBox problem. If this happens when your VM starts, then I suspect a corrupt "disk". You'll have to use the appropriate tools for your guest to fix it...

PS. I have sent you a Private Message a long time ago, could you please read your messages?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Iris Leung

Post by Iris Leung »

Dear socratis,

Thank you for your kindest reply, thought we are of different religion(s), myself do truly hope that my Father, the Son of God, does show understanding on you. Nevertheless, myself am thankful for all the help I could obtain from this forum from Oracle Corporation.

"This is an error from within your guest." <- Can you please do kindly specific this...

"You'll have to use the appropriate tools for your guest to fix it." <- Can you please do kindly further and suggest of the appropriate media for fixing this problem.

Your help is truly appreciated.

With Endless and the Holiest Blessings in the Son of God,
LEUNG, [Ms.]
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I have deleted your duplicate post, they are not allowed.

Just because an OS/program that runs in the context of VirtualBox has a problem, it doesn't make it a VirtualBox problem. You're having an issue that has most probably nothing to do with VirtualBox, so my suggestion would be to treat it as such, as a native problem with the OS or the application of the guest.

PS. Could you please refrain from any religious, political or sports messages in your greetings? Not all of the people share the same beliefs, and this is not the place for such discussions.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

Iris Leung wrote:"This is an error from within your guest."
To simplify what Socratis has said...

In the same way that a physical PC goes through the process of power on, BIOS, boot OS from hard disk the VirtualBox guest does the same thing. In your case, it has completed the first two of these tasks but when it has attempted the third of them it has discovered that the disk is corrupt. With VirtualBox this means that the contents of the .vdi file as the guest sees them are corrupt.
Iris Leung wrote:"You'll have to use the appropriate tools for your guest to fix it."
You will need to boot the guest VM from the ISO image you have of the Windows XP installation media, boot into recovery mode and see if it can repair the disk.

If that fails, and you don't have a backup of your data files, you may need to reinstall Windows XP in a new VM, connect the old .vdi file as a secondary disk and hope you can read your important files from it that way.

All done the same way as if you had hit the same problem with a physical hardware platform and actual disk drives.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

A disk read error reported by the guest could be a problem with the host VDI file, or it could be entirely a guest problem. Without a VM log file we can never know.
Iris Leung

Post by Iris Leung »

Dear socratis,

May you please do kindly delete this post, I personally opt to post on another board.

Thank you for your time and patience.

LEUNG, [Ms.]
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Iris Leung wrote:I personally opt to post on another board.
Posting a duplicate is not an option that you have I'm afraid. This is the 2nd time that you are posting a duplicate, and the 2nd time that I am forced to delete it. There will not be a 3rd time. I hope that this message is quite clear.
Iris Leung

Post by Iris Leung »

Dear socratis,

May you please do kindly delete this topic, before I shall move on to post it on to another board.

Thank you for your time and patience.

LEUNG, [Ms.]
Last edited by socratis on 14. Mar 2018, 10:25, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed URL.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

1. You have a problem with your guest. It is in my opinion that your message belongs in the "Windows Guests" forum. Even if it was posted somewhere else (in another section), I would have moved it here. This is where it should be, this is where it will stay.
  2. I have edited your message to remove a URL to a religious picture. I have asked you both in private and in public to refrain from any religious, political or sports messages in your greetings and your posts. Not only you didn't refrain, but you now started including URLs to unrelated 3rd party religious images. If this continues, I will be forced to take more drastic action. This is your 3rd warning. You are starting to test the limits of my patience.
Iris Leung

Post by Iris Leung »

Dear socratis,

May you please do kindly delete this topic, before I shall move on to post it on to another board with my personal signature.

Thank you for your time and patience, and understanding.

LEUNG, [Ms.]
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Actually I will ban you for a 3-day cooling period. I do not have to deal with 3 copy/paste messages in a row. Other people are also waiting for help.

And if your personal signature continues to ignore the advice given, a more permanent ban might follow.