VB resizes video then locks up

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
nlcarter

VB resizes video then locks up

Post by nlcarter »

Greetings:

I've got an issue that only affects my WIndows 10 VB, never my Windows 7 or Linux VB's. The issue is that, out of the blue, the video display is resized down to 640x480 and the session seems completely locked up. I've found no method for recovery, just 'Power off the machine' and start over.

My host is a Windows 10 Home x64 OS on an MSI 350 Tomahawk motherboard running an AMD Ryzen 1700x Eight-Core processor with 16GB RAM. VB is version 5.2.8. The VB is configured as Windows 10 Pro x64, 4GB RAM, two threads, single monitor (the VB runs on a second host monitor) w/128MB Video Memory.

This VB will always do the same little video resizing trick at start-up, but restoring the maximized window and maximizing it again returns it to normal maximized status. This does not help at all when the actual issue occurs.

I'm attaching the latest log to this post. In the log, at 02:39:27.639407 is where I think the issue starts (obviously the VB has been running a bit). I 'restore/maximize' again, then 'Power off the machine' to get back to work.

As usual, it's likely something very stupid in my config, but I see nothing.

Thanks for any and all assistance!!
Last edited by nlcarter on 10. Mar 2018, 03:59, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VB resizes video and locks up

Post by socratis »

nlcarter wrote:I'm attaching the latest log to this post.
Oops... you didn't. ZIP it first if you already haven't.

But, please disable any screen savers, locks, or power saving mode from your VM first and see if that changes the situation.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
nlcarter

Re: VB resizes video and locks up

Post by nlcarter »

no screensavers, sleeping, etc. zipped file attached?

thanks!
Attachments
10-1-2018-03-08-16-37-13.zip
(32.71 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
nlcarter

Re: VB resizes video then locks up

Post by nlcarter »

Anybody?!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Nothing funny on the log or your configuration.
nlcarter wrote:restoring the maximized window and maximizing it again
Try to change sizes to something more standard than:
00:01:13.250862 GUI: UIMachineView::storeGuestSizeHint: Storing guest-screen size-hint for screen 0 as 1920x1135
Other than that, I have no clue what might be causing this...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
nlcarter

Post by nlcarter »

Greetings:

Well, I really prefer to run things in full screen, I've got a 16x10 format monitor specifically so the VB video over head will allow for close to 1920x1080.

I'll give that a try and we'll see what happens.

Thanks!!