Dos program fullscreen

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Bermuditas

Dos program fullscreen

Post by Bermuditas »

At the office we use a DOS program under windows XP, since it's really outdated and it brings a lot of problems that windows I decided to install Windows 10 and a virtualbox with windows XP, everything is fine, but when I run the dos program it does not stretch the fullscreen, it has some black bars on top and bottom. This really makes working with the program very difficult as the text is really small. Is there any way to stretch the DOS window? I searched on Google and I didn't found a solution for this.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Dos program fullscreen

Post by mpack »

DOS uses a fixed size text mode terminal. You can't change the "resolution", but you can scale it to make it larger. Search for "scale mode" in the user manual.

p.s. Would your old program not run under DOSBOX? It's a tailored solution and therefore perhaps better.
Bermuditas

Post by Bermuditas »

Already tried and it was to complicated and I couldnt make it work as the bat that the program runs is thew following

Code: Select all

ECHO OFF
BTRIEVE /p:1536/m:48/c/f:20/b:5/o
SFEPSON
BUTIL -STOP
CD\
and it runs from a network pc. When I try to run it it says something about a violation in a line... So, I'm out of luck with virtualbox and stretching?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Well, I am not undertaking to provide support for DOSBOX, I simply wanted to make sure that you were aware of it. I will say however that I don't recognize the commands in that batch file (neither btrieve, sfepson or butil are standard DOS commands). The only thing my DOSBOX autoexec.bat file has is a path= statement.
Bermuditas wrote:So, I'm out of luck with virtualbox and stretching?
I mentioned in my first reply that "scale mode" should work, and you should search for it in the user manual.
Fummeleisen

Post by Fummeleisen »

I had the same Problem. The solution at the end was very simple:

first: <Alt><Shift><Enter> to switch DOS-window to fullsreen mode
then: <Strg>(right side of the keyboard) + <C> to switch to seamless mode of VB
Note:
The status bar of VB will disappear to!

The program works fast and fine and we are using it now although we have uncontrolled change of text colour!
Pleas tell me if the same error occurs to You.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Hmm. There are a few problems with that advice.

Seamless mode (<host>+L) requires the guest additions, which do not exist for DOS or for any DOS based guest (Win3.1, Win98, WinME).

Also, <host>+C invokes scale mode, not seamless mode. Scale mode has already been mentioned several times above.