Guest settings - OS Type/Version

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Selin

Guest settings - OS Type/Version

Post by Selin »

Hi

I have a question - what does guest 'Type' setting affects?

For example - I need the one guest to deploy different versions of Windows - 2008 R2, 2012 and 2016.
Can I simply set 'Other Windows 64 bit'?
What I'll loose with this setting (i.e. 'Other Windows') in comparing with specifying exact guest OS version?

BTW - there is no setting for Windows 2008 R2 - only for Windows 2008. Which one will be more correct for Windows 2008 R2 - 'Windows 2008' or 'Windows 2012'?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Guest settings - OS Type/Version

Post by socratis »

Here are the differences between the suggestions during creation time:
Full Name           Hints   RAM     VRAM    HD  Contr.Type  Bus     AudioType   AudioCodec
Windows 2008                2048    16      25  IntelAhci   SATA    HDA         STAC9221
Windows 2012/2016           2048    128     32  IntelAhci   SATA    HDA         STAC9221
Other Windows       PAE     512     16      20  PIIX4       IDE     AC97        STAC9700
This does NOT mean that there are no differences during runtime, I haven't done the analysis of the entire VirtualBox code.

There are generic templates. Not specific versions/patches/dates, use your judgement...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Selin

Post by Selin »

Thank you.
If you'll find anything else - share it, please.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

What's exactly the problem with setting the appropriate template? Please elaborate.
And I think I've done enough hunting. I don't want to disappoint you, but I won't be sharing anything more, because I won't be searching no more in the source code...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Selin

Post by Selin »

No problem with Guest type.
Just want to be sure that it is correct to use the same guest version setting for different guest OS versions.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Selin wrote:Just want to be sure that it is correct to use the same guest version setting for different guest OS versions.
Use the appropriate (not necessarily the same) guest template for different guests.