[Solved] browser hangs, ping gets replies

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Old bowler

[Solved] browser hangs, ping gets replies

Post by Old bowler »

Hi. Have recently changed my system. Now got Win 7 Ultimate 64 on Host + Bitlocker [with TPM] (VB virtual HDD is in Windows drive, and therefore also encrypted), and VB 5.6.2. Got Win 7 Pro 32 on Guest and Opera 42.0 browser. Opera hangs indefinitely when asked to browse a website. Using Ping to the same location, gets normal responses, about the same time delay as on Host (about 20 - 25mS). Opera v 51.0 on Host gets web pages in <1 sec. VM uses NAT networking config. Have tested firewalls on Host and on Guest by turning off briefly - made no difference. Anybody with some bright ideas I should pursue?
Much appreciate any suggestions.
Last edited by socratis on 28. Feb 2018, 14:25, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: browser hangs, ping gets replies

Post by socratis »

I've removed your duplicate post to the "Windows Hosts" section, I believe this section is more appropriate. Keep in mind that according to the forum rules, duplicate posts are not allowed. It's not good etiquette... And no, you didn't tread on anyone's toes, especially on your first post! ;)

As far as your problem, the following steps might tell us what's going on. Type the following commands from inside the guest and look at the output:
ipconfig /all
Ethernet adapter NAT:
   IPv4 Address. . . : 10.0.2.15        <-- your guest's IP
   Subnet Mask . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . : 10.0.2.2         <-- your way out
Then type the following commands:
ping <Default Gateway>                  <-- tests your connectivity
ping 8.8.8.8                            <-- tests outgoing connectivity
ping google.com                         <-- tests name resolution
If the pings succeed, you may have another network problem. Or not a network problem at all. Try with a different browser, try with a different protocol (FTP for example). See what happens...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Old bowler

Post by Old bowler »

Hi Socratis
Thank you for your help and advice. All pings worked OK; Opera worked with FTP, Installed Firefox - worked with all, updated Opera to 51.0 -works with all. I assumed my prob was a networking prob with VB - actually just Opera. Now just have to find how to mark my post [SOLVED].
Also noted rule about double post!
Thanks again
John (Old Bowler)
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. I'll mark it as [Solved] by editing your first post and changing the title. ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.