win 7 /win XP . when I try to do an installation : "setup caused a general protection fault"

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Aneloa

win 7 /win XP . when I try to do an installation : "setup caused a general protection fault"

Post by Aneloa »

Bonjour
J'ai installé aujourd'hui virtualbox (soit la version : 5.1.32)
Pour l'installation de XP, n'y connaissant pas trop, je me suis aider d'un tuto sur internet.

L'installation avait l'air de s'être bien dérouler, je peux lancer windows xp depuis VB mais quand j'essaie d'installer un vieux jeux ( lighthouse ou harry potter 2) ou le jeux ne se déclenche pas après installation (harry potter 2) ou il m'affiche "setup a causé, une faute de protection générale dans le module _setup.exe l'adresse: 0004:6357" pendant l'installation ..

l'ordinateur hôte est un windows 7 en 64 bits
il tourne sous "AMD FX(tm)-4100 Quad-core 3.60GHz
a 16 Go de RAM
et une carte graphique NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
Donc je ne penses pas que ça soit un problème de puissance d'hôte..

Pouvez-vous m'aider à résoudre ce problème s'il vous plait ? (ou au moins à comprendre ce qui bloque)
Merci d'avance
Aneloa

Ps : le tuto qui m'a aider à installer le tout est sur : "jmpcomputer.over-blog" C'est donc leur configuration que j'ai installé

Hello
I installed virtualbox today (version: 5.1.32)
For the installation of XP, not knowing too much, I help myself with a tutorial on the internet.

The installation seemed to run smoothly, I can run windows xp from VB but when I try to install an old game (lighthouse or harry potter 2) or the game does not fire after installation (harry potter 2) or it shows me "setup caused, a general fault in the module _setup.exe address: 0004: 6357" during the installation ..

the host computer is a windows 7 in 64 bits
it runs under "AMD FX (tm) -4100 Quad-core 3.60GHz
has 16 GB of RAM
and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti graphics card
So I do not think it's a host power problem ..

Can you help me solve this problem please? (or at least understand what blocks)
thank you in advance

Ps: the tutorial that helped me to install everything is on: "jmpcomputer.over-blog" So their configuration I installed
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: win 7 /win XP . when I try to do an installation : "setup caused a general protection fault"

Post by socratis »

Aneloa wrote:(harry potter 2)
Do you mean the "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets"?
Aneloa wrote:So I do not think it's a host power problem ..
Your guest does not see anything from the host. Except the CPU. It's not a matter of power in any event. The game's requirements are too low to be a problem.

We're going to need to see a VM log from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Aneloa

Re: win 7 /win XP . when I try to do an installation : "setup caused a general protection fault"

Post by Aneloa »

oui c'est "harry potter et la chambre des secret" (en cd et clé officiel )
Yes is the "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" (in official cd and key)

là,pour le test, j'ai déclencher le problème avec "lighthouse" ( ou l'installer s'arrete avec le message que j'ai poster précédement )
there, for the test, I trigger the problem with "lighthouse" (where the installer it stops with the message I posted before)

je met donc le .log fait juste après le problème d'installation
so i put the .log done right after the installation problem

merci de ta réponse rapide
Thanks for your quick answer
Attachments
Windows XP-2018-02-25-22-41-43.log
(126.21 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
Last edited by Aneloa on 26. Feb 2018, 00:17, edited 1 time in total.
Aneloa

Post by Aneloa »

J'ai essayé de nombreuse fois, cette après-midi, d'installer et de lancer le jeu harry potter, et comme par hasard au moment oû je veux refaire la manipulation pour que ça apparaisse dans le journal, le jeu c'est lancé ! mais par contre la maitrise de la sourie est horrible, et le jeu se met en 563*... (j'ai pas retenue exactement les chiffres mais c'est tout petit) du coup la souris sort s'en cesse du bord .. et surtout elle lag enormement .. j'ai du passé 2 mn à éssayer d'appuyer sur quitter .. la sourie ne faisait que foncer d'un côté à l'autre
je joins le journal de cette anomalie

I have tried many times, this afternoon, to install and launch the Harry Potter game, and coincidentally when I want to redo the manipulation for it to appear in the newspaper, the game is launched ! but on the other hand the mastery of the mouse is horrible, and the game is put in 563 * ... (I did not retain exactly the numbers but it is very small) the mouse goes out of the edge. and especially she lag enormously .. I have past 2 minutes to try to press to quit .. the mouse was just going on one side to another
I enclose the diary of this anomaly
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Programs like these tend to push the physical hardware to their limit hence the strict requirements for the graphics card specifications. Virtual machines will never be as powerful as the host, especially on the video side. They use after all a virtual graphics card, not your host's real graphics card. Applications that have high requirements on the GPU (drawing, 3D, games, video) are expected to not work as good as on the real hardware, if they work at all.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.