[Solved] Realtek AC'97 Audio in Win98

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
danklambsauce

[Solved] Realtek AC'97 Audio in Win98

Post by danklambsauce »

Hello,

I need help on something. I'm trying to get the Realtek AC'97 Audio Driver to work on Win98 and can't find a solution. I have tried installing through both the Realtek and Windows Device Manager, but doesn't seem to work when i reboot (even though i have changed it from SB16 to AC'97 in the VM menu). Also, everytime where i feel like it's getting close to working, it BSOD's me.

Maybe there's something i'm doing wrong, but i can't tell what it is. PLEASE HELP ME!

-Blake
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Realtek AC'97 Audio in Win98

Post by mpack »

I'm not sure why you posted this in "Windows Hosts"? Your question doesn't mention the host at all. Moving it to "Windows Guests".

Let's also try to be explicit: do you have a Win98 driver for AC'97, copied into the guest?

The question also needs to be asked: the template default audio for a Win98 guest is SB16, because Win98 has native drivers for that. Why do you need to change from the default?
danklambsauce

Post by danklambsauce »

Because if i am playing a DOS game i can't seem to get working in DOSbox thru Win98, how am i supposed to hear MIDI? I know that the AC'97 driver has a built-in MIDI Synthesizer.
Last edited by socratis on 17. Feb 2018, 02:14, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
Sonny86

Post by Sonny86 »

I also have this problem that i can't get MIDI to work in Win 98 or earlier.

Win 98 FE doesn't have a default driver for AC'97 and it looks like VirtualBox doesn't offer MIDI emulation with the SB16 emulation.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Most probably because the people that either pay for VirtualBox support, or know how to code and provide the changes required, are not particularly interested in MIDI emulation...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

Sonny86 wrote:Win 98 FE doesn't have a default driver for AC'97 and it looks like VirtualBox doesn't offer MIDI emulation with the SB16 emulation.
You need to download the Windows 95 drivers from Realtek not the Windows 98 one.

1. Go to http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/
2. Click on "AC'97 Audio Codecs (Software)"
3. Accept the license / download terms.
4. Download the Windows 95 driver
5. Copy the file to your Windows 98 VM
6. Unpack it with WinRAR or some such.
7. Update the driver for the audio device through device manager as running the setup.exe will fail.

Whether it works for what you are trying to achieve is not something I know.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
Sonny86

Post by Sonny86 »

How can i unpack the driver? The driver comes as an *.exe file, not a *.zip or some other archive.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

The .exe file is in fact just an archive file with a .exe decompressor on the front of it. Tools such as WinRAR and 7zip will be able to ignore the .exe part and unpack the files from the archive part.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I suggest unpacking the zip or rar before copying the unpacked files into the VM, avoiding the unnecessary complication of finding a free zip or rar tool for Win98.
andyp73
Volunteer

Post by andyp73 »

The site http://dk.toastednet.org/vogons/win98/ has links for a bunch of utilities that are useful for Windows 98 including 7zip v9.20 and the last versions of IE and Opera that run on Windows 98.

-Andy.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I appreciate that the tools may be available, but it's still an unnecessary complication: the task can be performed just as easily without them.
Sonny86

Post by Sonny86 »

I could unpack the AC '97 Win 95 driver from the *.exe and install it succesfully under Windows 98 FE. It works fine, MIDI also works now. Thanks!
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Thanks, marking as solved.