[Solved] oakcdrom.sys driver crashes MS-DOS 6.22 in VirtualBox

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Sonny86

[Solved] oakcdrom.sys driver crashes MS-DOS 6.22 in VirtualBox

Post by Sonny86 »

In order to gain access to my DVD drive from DOS 6.22,I downloaded the oakcdrom.sys driver from the internet and added the line "DEVICEHIGH=C:\OAKCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD001" to my config.sys.

Now every time the virtual machine starts it crashes at the line "Device Name: MSCD001". I tried to comment out loading of HIMEM.SYS and EMM386.EXE before the OAKCDROM driver, but it didn't help. I also tried to activate the "pass-through" option for the virtual CD-ROM drive in the virtual box options but it also didn't help.

Does anybody have any idea? Has anybody encountered this problem?

My VirtualBox version is the latest release, Version 5.2.6 r 120293.

Version of the oakcdrom.sys driver is D91XV352.
Last edited by socratis on 4. Feb 2018, 20:32, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: oakcdrom.sys driver crashes MS-DOS 6.22 in VirtualBox

Post by socratis »

Sonny86 wrote:In order to gain access to my DVD drive from DOS 6.22
DOS had to be special "massage" to see a very specific CD. There's no way that it can see a DVD (they didn't exist at the time), so passthrough is a highly unlikely option to succeed.

Try to see if it works with an ISO, it's much safer than the DVD option. See "DOS doesn't like my ISO files...", or search for "DOS ISO site:forums.virtualbox.org".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Sonny86

Post by Sonny86 »

Never mind, I solved the problem by just using an older version of oakcdrom.sys which i found on a windows 95 boot disk. It now works fine.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

So, the passthrough works? That's a really interesting tidbit...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Sonny86

Post by Sonny86 »

I can read CD-ROMs from DOS and Windows 3.1, that was my only goal and that works...I don't exactly know what the passthrough does.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Are the CD-ROMs actual CDs on your host's DVD drive, or are they ISOs?
Sonny86 wrote:I don't exactly know what the passthrough does.
Sonny86 wrote:I also tried to activate the "pass-through" option for the virtual CD-ROM drive in the virtual box options
Hmm... Did you try to read the tooltip? Or the manual?
Sonny86

Post by Sonny86 »

Yes i read the tooltip. The CD-ROMs are actual CDs on my host's DVD drive.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Great! Thanks for the feedback. Marking as [Solved].