[Fixed] setextra data for SATA controlled CD-DVD drive not working (#17374)

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
siriusr3d

[Fixed] setextra data for SATA controlled CD-DVD drive not working (#17374)

Post by siriusr3d »

[ModEdit; related ticket: #17374: Applying custom disk vendor product data (VPD) have partial effect]
Hi,

The 'setextradata' for SATA CD-ROM is not working anymore for windows 7 and 10 guests. Has anything changed in new release.? am i the only one facing the issue.?

it was working in earlier 5.1 version.
Also working with Windows XP guests with IDE controller but not in Windows 7 and 10 guests SATA controller. Harddisk data seems to working fine.

Code: Select all

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/ahci/0/Config/Port1/ATAPIProductId" value="DVD+-RW IZ-36W5Y"/>
<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/ahci/0/Config/Port1/ATAPIRevision" value="FNQT"/>
<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/ahci/0/Config/Port1/ATAPISerialNumber" value="R879IFVYQR1ETW"/>
<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/ahci/0/Config/Port1/ATAPIVendorId" value="TSSTcorp"/>

Code: Select all

VBoxManage setextradata %1 "VBoxInternal/Devices/ahci/0/Config/Port1/ATAPIVendorId" "TSSTcorp"
VBoxManage setextradata %1 "VBoxInternal/Devices/ahci/0/Config/Port1/ATAPIProductId" "DVD+-RW SU-208CB"
VBoxManage setextradata %1 "VBoxInternal/Devices/ahci/0/Config/Port1/ATAPIRevision" "D200"
VBoxManage setextradata %1 "VBoxInternal/Devices/ahci/0/Config/Port1/ATAPISerialNumber" "R8ZX6YLD9008V6"
Not working in Windows 7 & 10 (SATA controller)

But works in Windows XP (IDE controller)
Last edited by socratis on 9. Mar 2018, 07:47, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [Fixed].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: setextra data for SATA controlled CD-DVD drive not working

Post by socratis »

@siriusr3d
Is this a new behavior with 5.2.6? You already have a message in the Discuss the 5.2.6 release, so what's actually going on?

By the way, keep in mind that according to the forum rules, duplicate posts are not allowed. It's not good etiquette. You already had 3 exact messages (one deleted), and this might be gone as well. There is a huge difference if this is a version-specific regression.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
siriusr3d

Post by siriusr3d »

Sorry about the duplicate post. No one replied in Discuss the 5.2.6 release discussion, so i made a post here.

after updating to 5.2.6 version, it seems to be broken. Both in Linux and windows host.
I have used 'setextradata' command to configure SATA controlled CD-ROM device vendor and other ID details to be displayed in Windows guest. it was working fine in 5.1.x versions. But after updating to 5.2.6, its details are not shown in device manager of the windows 7 & 10 guest machines. you can refer the images in the original post.

Also, IDE controlled CD-ROM seems to be working, i have a windows XP guest with IDE controller which is showing the modified vendor and ID details.

So i need to know if there is any bug related to this issue or is it just I have reconfigure the VMs again.?
siriusr3d

Post by siriusr3d »

Okay now, i removed 5.2.6 version and installed 5.1.32.

now the SATA controlled CD-ROM vendor details are shown properly as used in 'setextradata'. refer the image below.
vbox-working.png
vbox-working.png (7.39 KiB) Viewed 4304 times
I think it is a regression bug. There is an Open Ticket for this bug
Last edited by siriusr3d on 6. Feb 2018, 08:00, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: setextra data for SATA controlled CD-DVD drive not working (#17374)

Post by socratis »

siriusr3d wrote:I think it a regression bug. There is an Open Ticket for this bug
It might very well be a regression, I added the related info at the beginning of your post. But ticket #17374 talks about VirtualBox 5.2.2, so you won't mind if I delete your post from the 5.2.6 discussion, OK?

It didn't get a reply in any event... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
siriusr3d

Post by siriusr3d »

this bug is present in all 5.2 versions. so its not specific to 5.2.2. Any ways, thanks for your reply. :)
siriusr3d

Post by siriusr3d »

This bug has been fixed in version 5.2.8. Thank you
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Great, thanks for the feedback. Marking as [Fixed].