[Solved] Failed to open a session for the virtual machine DESKTOP-WINXP PROFESSIONAL

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Iris Leung

[Solved] Failed to open a session for the virtual machine DESKTOP-WINXP PROFESSIONAL

Post by Iris Leung »

Your help is appreciated.
The virtual machine 'DESKTOP-WINXP PROFESSIONAL' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1). More details may be available in 'C:\Users\Iris Leung\VirtualBox VMs\DESKTOP-WINXP PROFESSIONAL\DESKTOP-WINXP PROFESSIONAL\Logs\VBoxHardening.log'.

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {f30138d4-e5ea-4b3a-8858-a059de4c93fd}
With Endless Blessings in the Son of God,
LEUNG, [Ms.]
Last edited by socratis on 5. Feb 2018, 12:17, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Failed to open a session for the virtual machine DESKTOP-WINXP PROFESSIONAL

Post by andyp73 »

This looks remarkably like the thread you started last week. Have you tried repeating the advice you were given then?

If that doesn't help the log file from the vm would!

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@Andy
It's not the same issue as before, the previous was about restoring a saved state.

@Iris Leung
Iris Leung wrote:More details may be available in 'C:\Users\Iris Leung\VirtualBox VMs\DESKTOP-WINXP PROFESSIONAL\DESKTOP-WINXP PROFESSIONAL\Logs\VBoxHardening.log'.
ZIP and attach that file.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Iris Leung

Post by Iris Leung »

Dear Socratis,

Tried to save the log as a .log, however, it doesn't work, therefore, it's pasted onto a notepad. Here's the log, thanks for your help, it's much appreciated.

LEUNG, [Ms.]
Attachments
VBoxHardening.log - DESKTOP-WINXP PROFESSIONAL-2018-01-31-15-10-32.txt
(35.84 KiB) Downloaded 426 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Iris Leung wrote:Tried to save the log as a .log, however, it doesn't work, therefore, it's pasted onto a notepad.
That's why I told you to ZIP it first, please remember it for the next time...

Please read really carefully the following FAQ: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues for some guidelines/ideas.

I would start by uninstalling Kaspersky, it's a known trouble maker...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Iris Leung

Post by Iris Leung »

Dear Socratis,

Thank you for your kindest help and suggestions. All the possible diagnosis were tried, and now the case is as:-
when the VM VirtualBox is turned on, it goes all blacked:- "FATAL: No bootable medium found! System halted".

Thank you for your time and patience, your help is appreciated.

LEUNG, [Ms.]
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

That's a different problem altogether. Now you can actually start the VM (which means that something fixed the Hardening issue), but you get a "No bootable medium" error. Either you haven't installed an OS in the VM, or you don't have a bootable ISO in the VM, or the VM is corrupted.

Was this VM ever working? I'd go with a "yes" based on your previous issues. Did it ever boot after you fixed the saved state?
Iris Leung

Post by Iris Leung »

Dear Socratis,

Thank you for your kindest help and suggestions. The original VM machine file has been found and imported, it's now running again, same as when she was just born.

Thank you for your time and patience, your help is appreciated.

LEUNG, [Ms.]
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. Marking as [Solved].