Starting Windows XP guest results in Guru Meditation

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
LtGreg

Starting Windows XP guest results in Guru Meditation

Post by LtGreg »

Environment:
Host: Windows 10 Pro Version 1709 Build 16299.192
Guest: Windows XP
Virtual Box Version 5.2.6 r120293 (Qt5.6.2)

I used to be able to run the same XP guest a couple of months ago. Since then, Windows had an update and I updated the Virtual Box version. Now the XP guest does not boot but goes into Guru meditation. Log file attached.

Windows 7 guest runs properly as before.

Looked through the forums but could not find anything that was helpful to my situation.

Any help would be appreciated
Attachments
log.zip
(41.13 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Starting Windows XP guest results in Guru Meditation

Post by socratis »

00:00:03.249875 HM: HMR3Init: Falling back to raw-mode: VT-x is not available
If you get this error, you need to enable VT-x in your system and make sure it's available. But unfortunately you can't enable it; your "Pentium Dual-Core E5200" does not support virtualization. Not that much you can do.

What you could do, is to not "promise" VT-x for your guest. In the VM settings » System » Acceleration, make sure that VT-x/AMD is not enabled.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
LtGreg

Post by LtGreg »

Thank you Socratis. Appreciate your help.

Under the VM settings » System, the "Acceleration" tab is grayed out for both my Window XP guest (that does not boot) as well as my Windows 7 guest (that works fine).

Under the Machine Tools >> Details >> System
my Windows 7 guest that works has a line that says "Acceleration: Hyper-V Paravirtualization"
Windows 7 guest.png
Windows 7 guest.png (75.41 KiB) Viewed 2649 times
This line is missing in my Windows XP guest that does not boot.
Windows XP guest.png
Windows XP guest.png (75.33 KiB) Viewed 2649 times
Could this be the cause of the problem?
Since the Acceleration tab is grayed out, I don't have a way to also set this for the Windows XP guest to see if it fixes the problem.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

LtGreg wrote:the "Acceleration" tab is grayed
D'oh! :shock:
Mea culpa. Of course it will be! You can't have it enabled since you don't actually have those capabilities. Issue the following command (while the VM is completely shut down, as it is in the picture) and see if it gets any better:
  • VBoxManage modifyvm "WinXP" --hwvirtex off
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
LtGreg

Post by LtGreg »

Thanks Socratis.

Ran the command
VBoxManage modifyvm "WinXP" --hwvirtex off

with no errors. But it did not seem to make any difference. New log file attached.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

LtGreg wrote:New log file attached.
Actually, it's not...
LtGreg

Post by LtGreg »

Sorry. Here is the log file.
Attachments
WinXP-2018-01-30-09-56-48.zip
(41.25 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Yes, I saw the log. And the crash. There's not much that you can do. Newer VirtualBox versions require more of your host's hardware, like VT-x. So, I'm afraid the only option you have is to downgrade your VirtualBox version to something that works...