Windows 10 Video Problems, Freeze, Crash

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
jfrickson

Windows 10 Video Problems, Freeze, Crash

Post by jfrickson »

I'm trying to get a Windows 10 VM running under Linux. The install goes fine and everything works. After I install Guest Additions, the vm's screen will freeze after about a half minute. Dragging other windows over the vm window will leave artifacts. The Virtual Box Manager window is also frozen. If I let it sit for a couple minutes, the screen will refresh, but doing just about anything, like bring up the system menu two or three times, will make it freeze again. (It seems to sometimes effect other Linux apps -- for example, trying to make this post while the vm was frozen, firefox crashed.)

So I restarted from scratch, set everything up except the guest additions and took a snapshot. I then brought up device manager and ran the guest additions install. When it was done, I quickly (wait too long and it will freeze again) right-clicked on the virtualbox video driver, selected Properties, clicked on the Driver tab, and clicked the "Roll Back Driver" button. Reboot, just to be sure.

Everything now works without problems including shared folders and shared clipboard, but video options are limited, it won't resize the desktop, etc.

Linux: openSUSE Leap 42.2
VirtualBox: VirtualBox Graphical User Interface Version 5.1.30_SUSE r118389
Win 10: Windows 10 Pro Version 1709 OS Build 16299.125
Guest Additions: 5.1.30_r118389

I've attached one of the VBox.log files. Some notes (line numbers approximate):
Line 1267 is where guest additions are being installed
Line 1306 is where the screen froze (I think)
Somewhere near line 1380 was a second freeze
After line 1515 the vm crashed, nothing written to log file
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
(22.82 KiB) Downloaded 9 times