VCPU2: Guru Meditation -2701 (VERR_VMM_RING0_ASSERTION)

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
SeaLandSkyPhoto

VCPU2: Guru Meditation -2701 (VERR_VMM_RING0_ASSERTION)

Post by SeaLandSkyPhoto »

Hi,

Got this after guest was basically idling overnight. It had been struggling to start running the vs community installer the evening before (extremely slow, never got the installer up and running). I've attached the log and png (rescaled and converted to jpg to fit without the attachment size limits).

This has not been seen before and I have no idea if it is reproducible. VM is just a sandbox and only see occasional use.

I searched for pgmPoolMonitorInsert and Guru Meditation and found a forum message "Win 2008 image crashing after startup" which lead to #5253 and #10745. I reduced the memory from 16GB to 8GB and applied VBoxManage setextradata Sauron "VBoxInternal/MM/CanUseLargerHeap" 1 as suggested in these. Also upgrading Vbox to 5.2.6.

VBox 5.1.22 running on Mac OS 10.11.6 with Windows 8.1 x64 guest.

Thanx,

Paul Howard
Attachments
VBox png Rescaled.jpg
VBox png Rescaled.jpg (106.01 KiB) Viewed 2587 times
VBox.log.zip
(202.63 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VCPU2: Guru Meditation -2701 (VERR_VMM_RING0_ASSERTION)

Post by socratis »

You've named your VM "Sauron"... Did you expect anything good to come out of it? ;)
VirtualBox VM 5.1.22 r115126 darwin.amd64 (Apr 28 2017 17:26:14) release log
00:00:19.442404 Log opened 2018-01-21T09:38:09.887524000Z
Two things; you're rinning a quite old version of VirtualBox, consider upgrading. And second, how on earth did you manage to start the logging 19.44 seconds in?
01:43:15.714092 !! VCPU2: Guru Meditation -2701 (VERR_VMM_RING0_ASSERTION)
A couple of searches later, there are two (actually one, and a duplicate) tickets that could fit, but it's quite an old one (#13283), still it doesn't hurt to try it. Set the following from a Terminal while the VM is shut down:
  • VBoxManage setextradata "Sauron" "VBoxInternal/MM/CanUseLargerHeap" 1
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
SeaLandSkyPhoto

Hi,

Thanx for the speedy response. As indicated in my original post, I've already done everything you've suggested.

The original OS install was a real bear....hence the name Sauron. And no, nothing good has come of it ;-)

Paul
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Hmm... Either I didn't read it carefully, or you were editing it while I was in the reply form. Sorry about that...

One other thing that I noticed is that the VM is not in a local HD. Is it an external USB? Any chance that it went to sleep? Also, you addressed the first and third points, not the middle one...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
SeaLandSkyPhoto

No idea about the log starting at 19s...I just uploaded the log as it was generated. ;-)

VM was on a local, internal HD, not an external one.

Maybe this has something to do with the VM being sluggish to begin with? I've never had much success with this VM trying to do much of anything - it always seems glacial in its performance. The same machine runs an Ubuntu 16.04 configured with 16GB Ram and 6 CPUs and a Windows 7 with 4GB Ram and 1 CPU. They both are extremely responsive and perform well. The Windows 8.1 VM is just a dog in comparison (original configured with 16GB Ram and 4 CPUs) even when running as the only active VM.
robpats

Post by robpats »

socratis wrote:And second, how on earth did you manage to start the logging 19.44 seconds in?
It is not rare on my system.
Recent log:
VirtualBox VM 5.1.30 r118389 win.amd64 (Oct 16 2017 10:47:00) release log
00:00:20.952188 Log opened 2018-01-15T09:01:27.362828700Z
It sometimes occurs when starting a VM with 3D acceleration enabled.
The cause of delay is VBoxTestOGL.exe overloading my mechanical HDD after starting the VM.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

robpats wrote:The cause of delay is VBoxTestOGL.exe overloading my mechanical HDD after starting the VM.
1) How do you know, from TaskManager or ProcessExplorer?
2) 20 sec? By the old gods and the new! That sounds like a lot, really a lot of time!
3) I may be getting older but I don't remember that thing before. It was simply really interesting. I'll try to ask the developers over IRC and see what I come up with...
robpats

Post by robpats »

I observed this from Resource Monitor.
"Settings" dialog of VM also sometimes suffers from this delay.
It seems VBoxTestOGL.exe is called to decide whether to disable "Enable 3D Acceleration" checkbox before the dialog is prompted.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Did you (or anything else) had the VBox.log open at the time that you launched the VM? Say a text editor looking at the log from the previous run? That could be the only case that opening the log could take so much.

Or an overzealous antivirus. Which one do you have? Testing the OpenGL does *not* take 20 sec.
robpats

Post by robpats »

1. No, I didn't.
2. I have Avast Antivirus and Comodo Firewall/HIPS.

After the delay, it is seldom but possible that the VM fails to start with error message like "Host does not support hardware 3D acceleration" and "Enable 3D Acceleration" checkbox of "Settings" dialog of the VM is disabled.
I guess this implies the OpenGL tests fail.
However, it usually succeeds on the second try.
Maybe my graphic card driver or even my graphic card is somehow broken.
Although I have already installed the latest available driver, my graphic card is rather old and is not supported anymore.