[Solved] Code 19 Standard PS/2 Keyboard - not working

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
douirc

[Solved] Code 19 Standard PS/2 Keyboard - not working

Post by douirc »

Hello. I cannot get my keyboard to work. Windows 10 boots fine and the mouse and on-screen keyboard are working, but when I go to device manager I see a yellow exclamation next to Standard PS/2 Keyboard and error Code 19 - Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged.

VirtualBox Version 5.2.6 r120293 (Qt5.6.3)
HOST: MacBook Air 11, Early 2014, macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 (17C205)
GUEST: Windows 10

Help, please!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Code 19 Standard PS/2 Keyboard - not working

Post by socratis »

We're going to need to see a VM log from a complete VM run:
  1. Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM.
  2. With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  3. Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
I would also like to see the "recipe" of the VM, the ".vbox" file:
  1. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show in Finder/Explorer/Whatever".
  2. ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it to your response.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
douirc

Post by douirc »

Thanks for the help!
Attachments
vbox.log.zip
(30.46 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
T470s.vbox.zip
(1.45 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Did you install Windows 10 from the ISO yourself, into this VirtualBox VM?
douirc

Post by douirc »

Sorry, forgot to mention the image was created from a T470s laptop using VMWare vCenter. I created the VMDK and converted it to VDI using vboxmanage.exe orig.vmdk new.vdi clonehd --format VDI.

I created a new VM from the windows 10 ISO and keyboard works so it's definitely the image created from another laptop that's causing the problem.
I also tried installing Guest Additions hoping that would fix the keyboard but no luck.
I then tried deleting the UpperFilters and LowerFilters in RegEdit for the keyboard but no luck.
I finally tried deleting the entire regedit key for the keyboard, rebooted and still no luck.
Last edited by douirc on 17. Jan 2018, 21:38, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

<Firmware type="EFI"/>
Unless your guest dies a horrible death, I'd switch to standard BIOS. Believe it or not, it's better supported... ;)
<Chipset type="ICH9"/>
That is definitely experimental. Switch to the default PIIX3 please. Just hover over the control, and wait for the tooltip to show.

But, those two above, are not your problem. I have setup an experimental Win10-x64 guest with both of these enabled, and it works. Your problem lies in the fact that you did a P2V (Physical To Virtual) conversion and I guess you were using something non-standard in your host. Maybe had some special device drivers for your laptop. You could go in the Device Manager and delete the PS/2 device, reboot and let Windows find the keyboard again...

PS. I deleted your duplicate post from the "Windows Guests" forum. According to the forum rules, duplicate posts are not allowed. It's not good etiquette...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
douirc

Post by douirc »

Yes, the P2V is definitely the problem but I don't know how to fix it. I tried booting into Safe Mode hoping drivers wouldn't be loaded and the keyboard would start working but no such luck. I tried copying the keyboard drivers from my fresh installation into my busted installation and tried to update keyboard drivers for the PS/2 Keyboard by pointing at the copied drivers, but it says something like I'm already using the best drivers.

Thanks for deleting the other thread. I didn't see the macOS Host section until after I created the post.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

douirc wrote:Yes, the P2V is definitely the problem but I don't know how to fix it.
socratis wrote:You could go in the Device Manager and delete the PS/2 device, reboot and let Windows find the keyboard again...
Did you try that piece of advice?
douirc wrote:Thanks for deleting the other thread. I didn't see the macOS Host section until after I created the post.
I deleted the other thread because a) it was a duplicate, b) the only answers were to this one. But, come to think about it, I'll move this to the "Windows Guests" instead of the "OSX Hosts" section. It's definitely a guest issue, not a host one...
douirc

Post by douirc »

good morning. yes, first thing i tried was deleting the device from device manager and rebooting but no luck.

FYI, i created the image using vCenter Standalone and when i load the image in VMWare Player it works fine. Problem is, VMWare Player isn't for Mac, which led me to VirtualBox. VB works fine when loading an OS from scratch but like you said, perhaps drivers are screwing it up for me on my image.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I'd suggest that you try using Disk2VHD, rather than a tool that's designed for VMWare.
douirc

Post by douirc »

tried that too, then converted the VHD to VDI but identical issue. it's clearly in the drivers.

i started from scratch with the original VMDK and compared the keyboard drivers in the fresh install against the T470s image and there's a difference:

c:\windows\system32\drivers\i8042prt.sys
c:\windows\system32\drivers\kbdclass.sys
c:\windows\system32\drivers\SynTP.sys

The last one is a Synaptic driver that could be messing me up. I uninstalled everything Synaptic from Add or Remove Programs and uninstalled the keyboard from Device Manager but when i reboot it still installs the keyboard with the SynTP.sys driver. I checked the drivers folder and the SynTP.sys file doesn't exist, but I'm guessing it's a package referencing dll's or something.
douirc

Post by douirc »

What a nightmare. Got it working but have to start from scratch again to find exactly which change I made that did the trick. I basically searched the entire regedit for 4D36E96B and updated the P2V to match the fresh install. I think there's only one entry that needs to be updated to point the keyboard at the legacy drivers instead of the synaptic drivers. As soon as I confirm I'll repost in case anyone else runs into this problem. Nightmare!
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Well done for getting it working, I'll mark the topic as solved.

I still don't understand why Win10 doesn't just detect the hardware and download drivers for it. The only thought that occurs is that perhaps it does, but somehow it doesn't think that keyboard is the current one (a PC can have more than one).
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Re: [Solved] Code 19 Standard PS/2 Keyboard - not working

Post by michaln »

The problem wasn't that Windows didn't have the driver, the problem was that it had the wrong one which refused to work with vanilla (emulated) hardware. This does not happen with a clean Windows install.
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: [Solved] Code 19 Standard PS/2 Keyboard - not working

Post by socratis »

So, michaln, are you saying that this was an OEM Win10 installation that didn't include even the most basic drivers for a generic keyboard?