[Solved] Insert Guest Addition Not Working

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
GWJ3

[Solved] Insert Guest Addition Not Working

Post by GWJ3 »

I use Windows 10 Pro as the Host to Virtual Box Windows 7 Pro. Today I updated (01/17/2018) to Version 5.2.6 r120293 (Qt5.6.2).
When in Virtual Box / Windows 7 I select Devices and Insert Guest Addition CD and nothing happens. It has always worked before.
Thanks for any suggestions in advance.
Last edited by socratis on 17. Jan 2018, 21:09, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Insert Guest Addition Not Working

Post by socratis »

Insert Guest Additions simply inserts a CD. That's it. If your guest supports Autoplay and it is enabled, the installation will start. Otherwise you'll have to start the installation manually. More details on the user manual, ch. 4.2.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
GWJ3

Post by GWJ3 »

Thanks for the response. :

How do I determine if "guest supports Autoplay and if it is enabled"?
Where do I find the manual and exact page you mention?

Sorry but I need details. I definitely understand if you don't have time to offer all the details for my question.

Thank You!
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

To read the manual click Help at the top of the VirtualBox Manager screen. It has an index.

Autoplay is a setting within Windows. Usually it is on and when you insert a CD/DVD it autoplays the CD/DVD. In a Windows 7 guest inserting the additions cd will open an Autoplay window and you simply click on Run VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe, the highlighted entry.

If it does not autoplay, open the CD drive from within the Windows 7 guest and run the program from there.
Bill
GWJ3

Post by GWJ3 »

Thanks for the response. I may have to give up on this and simply accept the change. I will attempt to explain again.

In the past when I updated VirtualBox and then opened my Host Windows 7 System a message would pop up that I needed to install the new Guest Addition. I would do this by clicking on the Devices Tab and selecting " Insert Guest Additions CD Image" I did not actually insert a CD. A window would automatically pop up and ask if I wanted to install the new Gest Addition and I would simply answer Yes and the new Guest addition would be downloaded from the internet. Today after installing the newest version when I came into the Host Windows 7 System and clicked on the Devices Tab and selected " insert Guest Addition CD Image" nothing happens. I hope this longer explanation will help you understand my issue. If not; I will just hope that VirtualBox somehow / magically :) has changed to automatically download the new Guest addition to go along with the updated version of VirtualBox.

Thanks for all the input!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

1. Insert Guest Additions from the Devices menu.
  2. Open Windows Explorer in your guest.
  3. Look at your CD drive in your guest.
  4. Run VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe
  5. Reboot after the installation.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
GWJ3

Post by GWJ3 »

Success! After running the Guest Addition Update Application from Windows Explorer the update worked and now the Auto Play works again when selecting from the Devices menu.
Thank You :-) :wink: :D
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

So, "Insert Guest Additions" works and has always worked. The auto-run wasn't ;)
Glad you got it going. Marking as [Solved].