Virtual Box - How can I increase CPU Utilization on multi-core processor

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Santiago3347

Virtual Box - How can I increase CPU Utilization on multi-core processor

Post by Santiago3347 »

I have an i7 - 4790 that I'm using for security research including pen testing. I require VBox to use more CPU resources. Currently I have everything setup the recommended way and have enabled PAE/NX as well as VT-x. BIOS has been setup for Intel Virtualization as well and this issue appears to specifically impact Oracles VBox. No Matter how many cores I select and having it set to 100% utilization I see the processor cycling the load between all the cores of the processor but never using more then 1 at a time. This dramatically increases time to run some of my tests and lab results vs doing the same test in a non-virtualized environment. I have looked through all the information I can find online to no-avail on how to resolve this issue. Any assistance is appreciated. With Vbox set to use 100% of the resources I have allocated I only hit 14% of my total CPU capability. Thanks for any assistance!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Virtual Box - How can I increase CPU Utilization on multi-core processor

Post by socratis »

Change your pen testing program to use more than 1 thread. There's nothing that VirtualBox can do. Try to rip a DVD with Handbrake in your guest. Does the CPU gets used? Yes it will. Because Handbrake works with multiple CPUs, I don't know what your program does...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.