Spectre/Meltdown Patches Hang Guest

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
TDHCA-Eddie

Spectre/Meltdown Patches Hang Guest

Post by TDHCA-Eddie »

When I have the Microsoft patches KB4056568 and KB4056897 installed, I have a case of the Win7 x64 guest hanging. Uninstall these patches and the issue goes away. I first saw the issue on a Windows 10 host system running the Windows 7 guests with Oracle VirtualBox 5.1.30. I thought it was time to upgrade...

Another Windows 7 host system with non-critical guests VMS was upgraded it to VIrtualBox 5.2.4. After upgrading the Win7 x64 GM with the Guest Additions the guests hang on the restart. The Win7 host/guest are all protected by anti-virus software which is compatible with the Microsoft patches. Rollback to an earlier snapshot without the patches and no issues.

Back to the Windows 10 host system with the Windows 7 guests, I went ahead and upgraded to VIrtualBox 5.2.4. Guest still hangs on restart after running sysprep. Rollback to an earlier snapshot without guest patches and there are no issues. Antivirus uninstallation did not help. Removal of host patches did not help... the key is the patches in the Guest. VirtualBox process never closes and uses 20+% CPU continuously.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Re: Spectre/Meltdown Patches Hang Guest

Post by michaln »

No VBox.log, nothing useful to say, sorry...
TDHCA-Eddie

Post by TDHCA-Eddie »

I really expect more from someone who allegedly works for Oracle.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

And he obviously expects more from you. Something like a little bit of evidence of what the problem might be.
Bill
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

TDHCA-Eddie wrote:I really expect more from someone who allegedly works for Oracle.
In that case please go through your Oracle service representative and not this forum. They will ask you for the log files.