Problems with audio and video in WinXP

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Pol77241q

Problems with audio and video in WinXP

Post by Pol77241q »

Dear Sirs, connoisseurs!
I'm using host Windows 7 with guest: WinXP.
Today I started WinXP in VM! WinXP have not any updates! And cacophony is reproduced!!!
Why?(The computer is still old - core2duo)

How it all began:

Code: Select all

I'm using host Windows 7 with guest: Ubuntu 16.04.
I updated Ubuntu 16.04 with "sudo apt update" and "sudo apt upgrade".
Rebooted Ubuntu and can't start Ubuntu(((
Virtualbox say: "You have critical error"
I assume that in this update Ubuntu was a fix for Meltdown.
I have an old processor: "Intel Core2Duo E8400" and fix for Meltdown(from Microsoft) can't install on my Windows 7.
Queue mistakes reached Ubuntu and Virtualbox.
In that thread, the experts told me that the Ubuntu update was to blame. My processor is not compatible with it.

But why did everything happen again in WinXP? Exactly the same!

Code: Select all

I discovered a new crazy problems (
I tried to watch the video from the site youtube in different browsers -> It was terrible(
Video and sound are played very fast. Approximately 7 seconds of video in 1 real second.
I downloaded the video from the Internet to the computer and tried to play it.
The problem persisted. It's not about browsers.
Next, I downloaded the MP3 file and also reproduced it - the sound is still a cacophony.
Attachments
Logs.rar
logs from VM with Windows XP
(68.54 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
NoNoNo
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP(32bit) / Debian 8.x / Debian 7.x / Windows 7(32bit)

Re: Problems with audio and video in WinXP

Post by NoNoNo »

Pol77241q wrote:Dear Sirs, connoisseurs!
I'm using host Windows 7 with guest: WinXP.
I discovered a new crazy problems (
I tried to watch the video from the site youtube in different browsers -> It was terrible(
Video and sound are played very fast. Approximately 7 seconds of video in 1 real second.
I downloaded the video from the Internet to the computer and tried to play it.
The problem persisted. It's not about browsers.
Next, I downloaded the MP3 file and also reproduced it - the sound is still a cacophony.
Hi there, I think I got same problem with my WinXP guest.

I posted Ticket 17492 on bugtracker, too.
Maybe you can downgrade VBox to avoid problem for now? I had downgrade Vbox (Win7-64bit Host) version from 5.1.32 to 5.1.30.
UliBär
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: WinXP and lots of Linuxes

Post by UliBär »

Hello,

i can confirm the same issue when changing from VB 5.1.30 to 5.1.32. The sound is extremely garbled and way to fast in the XP guest. Also MX-Linux (an Arch-Linux derivative), Linux Mint Sylvia, Lubuntu 17.10 and ZorinOS 12.2 (all 64 bit) guests are all effected by the same bug.

This behavior is the same on Windows 7 pro 64 bit and Windows 10 pro 64 bit as the host system.

Going back to 5.1.30 solves the issue completely, but it only works for Windows XP 32 bit guest, cause all the newer Linux OSes don't boot with VB 5.1.30, VB 5.1.32 is required or one have to use older Kernels.
UliBär

Post by UliBär »

I have to add:
The actual test build (5.1.33) does also not solve the problem.
ODesk

Post by ODesk »

Same problem here; users scratched their head over this all week, so I suggested downgrading back to 5.1.30 and fixed the audio issue on all affected machines.

Windows 7 SP1 x64 host and XP SP3 x86 guest like above.

I haven't tried 5.2.x branch for this particular environment as its not stable enough for my liking yet although I suspect if 5.1.32 has problems so would 5.2.6
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

ODesk wrote:users scratched their head over this all week
All week? That's it??? You must be new around here... ;)
This is going on for a looooong time...
But they're on the right track, just a little bit longer...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ODesk

Post by ODesk »

UliBär wrote: i can confirm the same issue when changing from VB 5.1.30 to 5.1.32. The sound is extremely garbled and way to fast in the XP guest. Also MX-Linux (an Arch-Linux derivative), Linux Mint Sylvia, Lubuntu 17.10 and ZorinOS 12.2 (all 64 bit) guests are all effected by the same bug.
I have been experimenting, I think it's the ICH AC97 Audio Controller is causing the problem on the XP guest. Choosing another Audio Controller causes the video playback to go back to normal speed for me (even though there's no sound due to missing XP driver).

So my theory is, if removing the ICH AC97 fixes the video speed, and newer Windows guests don't have a problem because they typically use Intel HD controller, then recent ICH AC97 fixes might have caused this regression.

Not having any Linux experience, I ask if you are using ICH AC97 on your Linux guests, and are you able to change the Audio Controller to something else to see if the problem goes away under 5.1.32? Might be helpful info to file against the bug report.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@ODesk
There shouldn't be a need for experimentation like that. The defaults are chosen for a good reason; they work (in theory). If they don't, then something else is broken.

Can you try with the latest test builds? Anything above r120822 should contain a lot of audio fixes...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ODesk

Post by ODesk »

Of course I shouldn't need to experiment :) I was seeing if I could gather some additional symptomatic info for the bug report, or even find a valid workaround for the problem until such time the issue was fixed.

I too tried the latest test build 5.1.33-120685-Win but there was no difference. There doesn't seem to be any newer test build (120822 or better as you suggest) for the 5.1.x branch.

I did try the (current) 5.2.6-120293-Win and it was okay, so it is probably a good alternative choice for people experiencing this problem who want to get January's security fixes. I've previously had assorted issues with 5.2.x branch and stayed away but maybe it is time to revisit.

Edit: Further testing with 5.2.6 I found the audio was scratchy as per viewtopic.php?f=6&t=85695&hilit=scratchy+audio. So I might end up reverting to 5.1.30 after all :P
UliBär

Post by UliBär »

For the record:

Update 5.1.34 does not solve the problem. It is as awful as before. :(
NoNoNo

Post by NoNoNo »

I confirmed that, too, with Vbox 5.1.34. same as my previous post.
UliBär

Post by UliBär »

For the further record:

In version 5.1.36 the sound is still broken as designed... :(
NoNoNo

Post by NoNoNo »

As I added @Ticket 17492;

All music/sound playback in very fast speed -- included all video files that with audio tracks, no matter video track's codec is. A weird behavior it is.
UliBär

Post by UliBär »

Again: 5.1.38 is also no winner for sound - still broken as designed...
ODesk

Post by ODesk »

How about 5.2.12 ?

I read in viewtopic.php?f=6&t=85695&hilit=scratch ... 75#p415211 that 5.2.8 fixed some audio issues and so I tried out 5.2.12 for XP guest and so far things have been okay. I'm going to give it more testing because I read some host and guest combinations still have problems.

Since 5.1 is no longer the most active branch, the likelihood that it will be fixed IMHO is probably pretty low :|