Configure Nat Network and Host-only adapter at same time on Windows Guest

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Hagautama

Configure Nat Network and Host-only adapter at same time on Windows Guest

Post by Hagautama »

Hi guys!

My environment:

1. Guest1 - OS Windows 10
2. Guest2 - OS Windows Server 2012r2
3. Host - OS Windows 10 Pro

I have to configure network adapters of virtual machines to be able to:
1. Have internet connection on both guests
2. Be able to reach guest from guest and both guests from host.

I've seen solutions for linux to use Nat Network together with Host-only adapters at the SAME time, but is there any way to configure it on Windows?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Configure Nat Network and Host-only adapter at same time on Windows Guest

Post by socratis »

Please read the following: User Manual, ch. 6.2. Introduction to networking modes including the Overview table, which shows quickly what kind of connection is required to achieve what you want. And remember, you can always have more than one network card in your guest to cover multiple scenarios.

Configuring it on Windows or any other host or guest is exactly the same as having only one network card; you simply do it twice or more. Most of the times, you don't even need to configure it; the client gets their network configuration automatically via DHCP.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Configure Nat Network and Host-only adapter at same time on Windows Guest

Post by BillG »

Where is the host? Is it on a LAN or is it a standalone with a direct connection to the Internet?

If it is on a LAN with a DHCP server, the problem is trivial. You simply set up both guest machines with one NIC set to bridged.
Bill