Backup physical windows 10 restore as virtual windows 10

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
matjung
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: FUEL

Backup physical windows 10 restore as virtual windows 10

Post by matjung »

Hello,
I am looking for a tutorial, tool or instructions for moving a physical machine into a virtual one.
I have got two physical machines, old and new.
The new one, already contains virtual box and some virtual machines are running there fine.
Now I would like to backup the old physical machine and restore it as virtual one.
The old machine has one physical hard drive, with a few partitions and one DVD drive.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Backup physical windows 10 restore as virtual windows 10

Post by socratis »

What you want to do is called Physical To Virtual, or P2V for short. The general P2V strategy is:
  • Use Microsoft's "Disk2VHD" tool to convert your physical disk to a VHD.
  • Convert that VHD to a VDI, either with the "VBoxManage clonemedium" command, or with the "CloneVDI" tool.
  • Build a VM around that VDI. The closest to your real system, the better. Things that are important are mainly the chipsets. The closest you stick to the template, the better, but I believe that this was for older Windows versions mainly.
  • You most probably will need to re-activate Windows.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.