Network adapters - Windows 7

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Haski

Network adapters - Windows 7

Post by Haski »

Hello, I am new to Virtual Machines and VirtualBox. I made 2 virtual machines. Is there a way to make them have different IP address than my host computer? What network type and adapter I use?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Network adapters - Windows 7

Post by socratis »

Please read User Manual, ch. 6.2. Introduction to networking modes including the Overview table, which shows quickly what kind of connection is required to achieve what you want. And remember, you can always have more than one network card in your guest to cover multiple scenarios.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Network adapters - Windows 7

Post by mpack »

Haski wrote:I made 2 virtual machines. Is there a way to make them have different IP address than my host computer? What network type and adapter I use?
The network ype and adapter is not relevant to the question asked. The network adapter model does not affect what IP address is given to a PC. Stick to the card selected by the template.

To the "different IP" question. An IP address is not one thing. Your PCs have an IP address on your local network. Not only can those be different, they must be different. I.e. the MAC addresses configured in the VM settings must not clash with any other local device, because your router pairs IP addresses to MAC addresses. OTOH, if your communications pass though a gateway and into the outwide world, then all of those communications seen by the outside world will have the same IP address - that of your router.