[Solved] Windows10 Guest Additions loading

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
pterosaur

[Solved] Windows10 Guest Additions loading

Post by pterosaur »

Host iMac OSX 10.13.2
Guest Win 10 (64-bit) Pro v1709 OS Build 16299.125
VB 5.2.4 r119785 (Qt5.6.3)

Guest Additions using the normal technique (used on my Win XP) fail to load with an error message "not available for this platform yet".

I have searched for solutions and can see similar problems when Win 10 was first released and have tried these. Using program compatibility adjustment the GAs appear to load but on restart are not applied as demonstrated by the Win 10 window not increasing in size as the VB window is enlarged. Can anyone suggest a solution please?
Last edited by socratis on 2. Jan 2018, 17:45, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows10 Guest Additions loading

Post by socratis »

pterosaur wrote:Guest Additions using the normal technique (used on my Win XP) fail to load
What exactly do you mean by "normal mode"? There is only one mode, and that is to go to menu "Devices" » "Insert GAs CD image..." and from there run "VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe", if not prompted by the OS. No compatibility adjustments required.

With the VM shutdown, right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log". Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
pterosaur

Post by pterosaur »

Thanks for your speedy reply. By normal mode I meant all that you described, plus I then tried restarting the guest in what used to be called safe mode to retry guest addition install, and then trying the file compatibility wizard. None of these worked.
I hope the attached log is enough to identify the problem. Thanks again.
Attachments
Win10logfile.7z
(21.47 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

pterosaur wrote:By normal mode I meant all that you described
Actually it's not at *all* what I described. I talked about going to the Devices menu. You didn't. You had a completely unrelated CD loaded in the VM:
VirtualBox VM 5.2.4 r119785 darwin.amd64 (Dec 18 2017 17:02:39) release log
00:00:02.493510 File system of '/Applications/Guest/VBoxGuestAdditions_4.0.12.iso' (DVD) is hfs
I honestly don't know what you're doing with such an old GAs CD, located in an "/Applications/Guest" folder (?!?), but that's not what I described, nor the correct procedure. You do *not* need to download a separate GAs ISO, it comes bundled with your main VirtualBox installation. So, eject what you have in your CD (the 4.0.12 GAs), and follow the menu "Devices" advice...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
pterosaur

Post by pterosaur »

Thank you, my problem is solved. You are correct I hadn't followed the latest procedure. I had been used to loading separate GAs and when I downloaded a new VB I saw the GAs there under devices and reloaded them. I have now successfully loaded the correct GAs. I had puzzled over the GA version number but couldn't find any confirmation of the version which shouild apply - I understand now that they will always be the same as the VB version.
My Windows XP version had been struggling along with the old version so installing W10 has benefitted both virtual machines.

Thanks again.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. Marking as [Solved].