Host freezes when guest additions installed

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Orange Reaper

Host freezes when guest additions installed

Post by Orange Reaper »

Host Ubuntu 17.10 Desktop 64

Guest windows 10 Home; Version 1709; Build 16299.15

Guest Additions VBox_GAs_5.2.4

Problem When I Install Guest Additions the following happens

1. The installation goes OK and I'm asked to restart the virtual machine.
2. I restart the virtual machine (Reboot now) and then... during the shutdown process...
3. ...the guest freezes, then
4. the host freezes, only the mouse responds, I have to press the reset button to restore my PC
5. if I restart the VM, then during startup
6. Goto 3

I have tried Vitualbox version 5.1.30 (this being the apt-cache policy version) but the same thing happened.

Can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong?

Detailed System Config:

dpkg -s

Package: virtualbox-5.2
Priority: optional
Section: contrib misc
Installed-Size: 163182
Maintainer: Oracle Corporation
Architecture: amd64
Version: 5.2.4-119785~Ubuntu~zesty
Replaces: virtualbox
Provides: virtualbox

VBoxManage list extpacks

Extension Packs: 1
Pack no. 0: Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack
Version: 5.2.4
Revision: 119785
Edition:
Description: USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 Host Controller, Host Webcam, VirtualBox RDP, PXE ROM, Disk Encryption, NVMe.
VRDE Module: VBoxVRDP
Usable: true
Why unusable:
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Host freezes when guest additions installed

Post by socratis »

We're going to need to see a VM log from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM.
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Orange Reaper

Post by Orange Reaper »

Hello, and thank you for your kind response.

I have done as you requested and attach log file.

Please remember that after installing the Guest additions and observing the error I cannot shutdown the VM. This is because the VM is frozen, and the host is also frozen.

The attached log is that obtained after rebooting the host PC (press reset). I hope there is information in the log that allows diagnosis.

The 'status' of the VM is 'Powered Off' at the time the log was taken.

All the best and Happy New Year!
Attachments
vmlog.zip
30-Dec-2017 10:34
(23.13 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

00:00:01.162516 CPUM: Physical host cores: 4
00:00:00.842269 NumCPUs <integer> = 0x0000000000000004 (4)
You have assigned all your CPUs to the VM. The host is going to run low on resources, since VirtualBox cares about physical processors, not logical ones. I would give the guest no more than 3 CPUs.
00:00:00.682219 File system of '/media/4TB001/WindowsVM/Windows10.vdi' is ext4
Is that on an external hard drive?

You get a lot of the following, just before the crash:
VMMDev: Guest Log: VBoxMP::DxgkDdiQueryCurrentFenceNew: WARNING! :=>DxgkDdiQueryCurrentFenceNew
A quick search for that term in the VirtualBox site, returns the following results, most of them talking about 3D acceleration:
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Orange Reaper

Post by Orange Reaper »

Thank you so much for your help.

Disabling 3D Accelleration and allocating only two CPU Cores to the VM appears to have stabilised things.

I now have Guest Additions installed and the VM has run without crashing for 40 minutes.

:D

/media/4TB001/WindowsVM/Windows10.vdi is in fact stored on an internal HDD (permanently mounted). My setup has the operating system installed on a smaller SSD and I tend to use a 4TB SATA for data.

Thanks again.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

OK, at least you got it going, that's a start... ;)

The "Disable 3D acceleration" trick is a workaround for the problem. You'll miss several "nice" features, especially in the Windows world where the Guest Additions (GAs) have been optimized. I would try to see if there are any updates to the graphics drivers for your card (free or not) and now that you actually have the GAs already installed, try to re-enable the 3D acceleration.

The CPUs number, you should definitely keep.

Happy New Year!!!
sej7278
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Solaris, Linux, Windows, OS/2, MacOSX, FreeBSD

Post by sej7278 »

i'm seeing the exact same problem in 5.2.20 - debian sid host and win10 guest, although i've always had the problem (for years, various guests!) i always assumed it was an nvidia issue, i'm using the nouveau drivers not the proprietary ones.

crashing the host is a major issue in my books. as the ops says - mouse pointer is all that works, numlock light doesn't change when pressed, not sure if network/ssh works - need to check that. guest additions work fine but i can't enable 3d.