[Solved] Airplay on windows guest gives black screens

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
erichake

[Solved] Airplay on windows guest gives black screens

Post by erichake »

Hi !

I'm a teacher (and network administrator) , and I need to mirror iPads or iPhones on Linux computers over airplay protocol. As linux itself doesn't provide real solutions to do this, I tried to do it with a windows guest inside virtualbox, but I failed...

In the guest, I used differents windows Airplay servers like x-mirage, airserver, reflector, mirroring360, etc... I tried tons of different settings for the guest during 7 days, I also tried on winXP, win7 and win10 boxes, but I always get black screens in the guest airplay software when the iPad connects to the server.

Of course, when I try to do it on a real windows machine, it works all the time. but I don't want to do dual booting on my PCs...

My network settings inside virtualbox is bridged network. I tried to attach en:Wifi or en:Ethernet adapters (with or without cable), with heaps of different settings, and it fails all the time. Ipads or Iphones always recognise the airplay server, but in the guest I always get black screens inside airserver softwares.

If you have an iPhone or an IPad, and if you try it, I'm pretty sure that it will happens to you as well, because I also tried on "os x" and windows hosts, and the black screen behavior is always there...

If you have an idea, please tell me !

Yours,
Eric
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Airplay on windows guest gives black screens

Post by mpack »

Please provide a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click it in the GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (ONLY) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
erichake

Post by erichake »

Ok , here is the attached log file, in zip format.
Yours,
Eric
Attachments
winxp-2017-12-26-14-37-07.log.zip
(21.54 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Is there any particular reason why the VirtualBox version is so old? (5.1.30, the current version being 5.2.4), and the Guest Additions even older (5.0.26).

Once that is attended to, I suggest that you enable 2D and 3D video acceleration, as the lack of a video overlay feature is probably why you get a black screen. Note that with XP guests when you enable 23/3D acceleration you must install the Guest Additions in XP's safe mode.
erichake

Post by erichake »

Thank's a lot !

This time I was on "os x" and virtualbox and guest additions are updated (I guess 5.1.30 is the current version because virtualbox told it to me !).
But you were right about 3D acceleration, and also I didn't know you have to install guest additions in safe mode...
Now I don't get any black screen in my airplay receivers : thank's a lot mpack !

I thought it was a network problem, so I spent 7 days try things around this topic, and I was all wrong !!!

Yours,
Eric
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Excellent, thanks for reporting back. I'll mark the topic as solved.