Extend har disk for Windows 10 Pro HD (1709) - new routine needed?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
janpeter
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10, Ubuntu 20.04

Extend har disk for Windows 10 Pro HD (1709) - new routine needed?

Post by janpeter »

Hi

Before the following procedure worked well to expand a HD for Windows

Terminal:
cd /Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/Resources/VirtualBoxVM.app/Contents/MacOS/
VBoxManage modifyhd --resize [new size in MB] [/path/to/vdi]
VBoxManage showhdinfo ~/path/to/vmdrive.vdi

Then starting up VM Windows 10 again and do the following commands to do the actually extension

Computer> Right Click >Manage> Storage> Disk Management>Notice the addedVolume > Select the current Volume > right click> Extend volume. Now the CurrentVolume is extended.

This time I found that the there is a “Reovery partition” between C and the new part that I want to extend C towards.
Then extension of the C does not work,

So how do we now extend the hard disk?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Extend har disk for Windows 10 Pro HD (1709) - new routine needed?

Post by mpack »

You need to move the recovery partition aside first. That is a guest OS operation, not a VirtualBox operation, so you'll need to Google for how you'd do it in the physical world, e.g. after transferring a disk image to a new larger disk.
sebus

Post by sebus »

The question really is, does current version of VB extends the disk at the end (in which case in guest Windows machine the layout would be
System Partition (EFI) - OS partition (C) - empty space )
or due to some bug it extends by adding the space at the beginning of the disk (as seems to be described), hence causing this issue

It is way too easy to say "It is not us, it is them..."
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

sebus wrote:It is way too easy to say "It is not us, it is them..."
It is how things are. Not us, not you, not them. Do you really have to blame someone for the way that things work? Because they don't work as you imagined/would have liked? No...
sebus wrote:does current version of VB extends the disk at the end
It was always and (I believe) it will always be like that, with a small correction; VirtualBox has absolutely no idea what partition scheme you have on your VDI. It doesn't and can't care. If it did, it would have to have specific routines for each and every partition out there. It doesn't.
sebus wrote:or due to some bug it extends by adding the space at the beginning of the disk
It didn't. Please read the OP's message again. The recovery partition was at the end of the hard drive and it pretty much ended smack in the middle after the resize operation.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

sebus wrote:It is way too easy to say "It is not us, it is them..."
No more easy than saying "I don't like this reality, please give me another". The facts are as they are. As I said, you would meet the same situation if you replace a Win10 boot disk in your physical PC with a new larger one. I.e. this is a problem between you and the guest OS, specifically with how it manages disk space. It is not a problem with the disk drive.
maker675

Post by maker675 »

@janpeter, see that there are a number of software packages out there proposing solutions.

Did you find a good FREE utility for extending non-adjacent Windows 10 partitions that appeared TRUSTWORTHY and did the job?
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

Download the GParted Live ISO, insert it into the virtual CD of the guest VM, boot from it and it will deal with most partition types.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
maker675

Post by maker675 »

Yay, it worked!

Thanks a lot andyp73.

I'd noticed that package but the really valuable information is that it was going to work.

Otherwise, backups notwithstanding, pressing the button is a bit like Russian Roulette.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

maker675 wrote:Otherwise, backups notwithstanding, pressing the button is a bit like Russian Roulette.
Glad to see you got it to do what you needed it to. The risk is no different to doing the same thing with upgrading a physical hard disk - that is why lots of the advice around here is about making backups of both important files within the guest and also the whole VM directory on the host.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
maker675

Post by maker675 »

Yep.

There's the risk inherent in such a procedure which one has to live with.

But then there's the risk associated with the choice of the right software package....

and for that I'm most grateful!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

It's funny, that in the whole thread the FAQ "How to resize a Virtual Drive", was not once mentioned! ;)

As you can see there in the FAQ, GParted is the tool of choice...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
maker675

Post by maker675 »

:D

Odd thing, even if one searches the forum for "How to resize a Virtual Drive" (which I didn't - more like "extend partitions") that most excellent thread doesn't appear in the first page of results. Hadn't noticed the tutorial folder.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

maker675 wrote:even if one searches the forum for "How to resize a Virtual Drive" that most excellent thread doesn't appear in the first page of results.
Searching for this term, I get the FAQ as the first result, in everybody's favorite spy search engine. Another tip if you're using search engines is to restrict its scope by using the "site" directive, as in "How to resize a Virtual Drive site:virtualbox.org"
maker675

Post by maker675 »

Seems it's possible to create a shortcut for in-site searching (a "bang" using the exclamation mark as syntax) on DuckDuckGo

https://duckduckgo.com/newbang