Vista networking works, but one stubborn program refuses to connect

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Niels007007

Vista networking works, but one stubborn program refuses to connect

Post by Niels007007 »

Hi all,

Sometimes I use a program that only works on XP and Vista. I have an old laptop running especially for this piece of software. I figured a virtual machine would be more elegant!

I've tried to get XP and Vista running, they both do, with network seemingly all functioning. I can go online with Vista from in the VM. I can ping sites as well.

However, that obscure program I want to use, says it can't access the server that it has to access. On my old laptop with Vista running it works just fine, so the server IS accessible, just not by my VM!

Are there any ways in which programs might use the network that could work differently with a VM versus running an actual Vista installation?

I'm so close but yet so far... :-)

Have a great xmas!
Niels
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Vista networking works, but one stubborn program refuses to connect

Post by socratis »

Niels,

If you chose the defaults, then your VM should have the NAT mode network selected, under "VM Settings" » "Network" » "Adapter 1" » "Attached to:". If you're in a wired LAN, try to set that to "Bridged" and bridge it to your host's wired network card. If you're on a WiFi, bridge it to the WiFi card, but be warned that it may or may not work. Some combinations of Routers/Access Points, WiFi cards and drivers work, some don't. See: Bridging & WiFi - Supported hardware.

If the above assumptions are not correct:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / observe the error / shutdown the VM.
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Merry Christmas to you and everyone else!!!

PS. fancy nickname ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Niels007007

Post by Niels007007 »

Hi Socratis,

Thanks for offering your help. I have attached the log. Its Greek to me, which is probably usefull as you are from Greece? :)

The program I am trying to run is a bit obscure, I may be the only one left in the world still using it every now and then. Perhaps it is missing some sort of redist / visual runtimes or something. I doubt it but it could be something like this instead of an actual network issue.

The software is ~1.5megabyte. Perhaps if the log doesn't help, I can upload this software (its boring / harmless) so you can see what happens on your VM's?

Alternatively, because I know it works on my old laptop with Vista, perhaps I can make an image of that harddrive and somehow use that image in a VM?

Thanks!
Niels ( only a fictional relation with mr Bond.. :P)
Attachments
Vista-2017-12-25-10-32-25.zip
(20.64 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I saw only one network card only, attached to Bridged over your wired card. So, that shouldn't be your problem, as long as your network configuration is similar (should be) and the network is active (it is).
Niels007007 wrote:The software is ~1.5megabyte. Perhaps if the log doesn't help, I can upload this software (its boring / harmless) so you can see what happens on your VM's?
Sure, no problem, just find an anonymous file sharing site to put it in and let me know where to find it and how to use it. For example, in the following site your file is available for 30 days, limit 5 GB, no registration required: https://uploadfiles.io/

Plus I use a minimal snapshot, so no harm is going to be done. I do *not* have a Vista VM (nor am I planning on creating one) but I have an WinXP and a Win7 one, I could try either.
Niels007007 wrote:On my old laptop with Vista running it works just fine, so the server IS accessible, just not by my VM!
Any chance that the two Vistas differ in their network settings? From the gateway, to the mask, to their DNS servers?
Niels007007 wrote:Alternatively, because I know it works on my old laptop with Vista, perhaps I can make an image of that harddrive and somehow use that image in a VM?
You could use Disk2VHD from Microsoft and try a P2V conversion (Physical to Virtual). It's a little bit more of a hassle, so let's try the quick one first.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Niels007007

Post by Niels007007 »

Hi Socratis,

Thanks for offering to try out that software. Here is the file https://ufile.io/p89xs It is a car suspension geometry analyzer / generator, techy mathematical stuff, confusing for people of all ages! ;-)

It probably doesn't run on windows 7, although it once did years ago on a 32 bit install.
It should work on XP, requires dotnet 2.0.
There is a .MSI and a setup.exe, I believe you can install either, should make no difference.

After installation, just try to run the program. It will either just work, or in my case give the attached error message after a few seconds. That site ( http://www.kangaloosh.com/carFactory/carFactory.asmx ) exists, and I can open it on my VM with Internet explorer too. On my XP VM I get the same error message.

Regards,
Niels

PS: Firewall was disabled.
Attachments
error.png
error.png (14.03 KiB) Viewed 1773 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I tried the program and yes, it doesn't want to connect to whatever is hardwired to connect. It doesn't really matter that the page is there, the answer that the program is looking for might not be, or there might be something completely irrelevant. You need to ask the software developer what they're looking for. One thing's for sure; it doesn't look like a VirtualBox problem.
Niels007007

Post by Niels007007 »

Thank you very much for trying this out Socratis, it helps to see that it is not some weird problem with my pc or VM. I'll keep using my old Vista laptop for this program when I need it.

The developer has abandoned it for a long time, I bet he also forgot the server is still running! :-)

On the bright side, I never used VMs before, and now I have, it is surprisingly easy and kind of cool to see how this works! I always thought it would be super difficult to set this up.

Thanks again and take some Oliebollen as a sign of gratitude! :-) ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliebol )
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

[color=#0000BF]Niels007007[/color] wrote:I'll keep using my old Vista laptop for this program when I need it.
[color=#BF0000]socratis[/color] wrote:You could use Disk2VHD from Microsoft and try a P2V conversion (Physical to Virtual). It's a little bit more of a hassle
You could try to image your old laptop and build an as similar as possible of a VM around that hard drive image.
Niels007007 wrote:Thanks again and take some Oliebollen as a sign of gratitude!
Excellent! When I visit my cousin in Utrecht I'll make sure to try one! It definitely looks a heck of a lot like "loukoumades"... ;)