TPrinterSetupDialog will not execute under Virturalbox

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
redenegue

TPrinterSetupDialog will not execute under Virturalbox

Post by redenegue »

I have been writing an application using Lazarus. I run it both in and out of Virtualbox. One of the features uses a TPrinterSetupDialog. The TPrinterSetupDialog will not run under Virtualbox. If I compile the code in Virtualbox and run it under Windows outside Virtual box it does run. Somehow the printer information must not be accessible inside Virtualbox. I use the same copy of Windows 7 in both environments and Virtualbox runs inside the same copy of Windows 7. Since it runs outside of Virtualbox, I am thinking it is more your issue rather than with Lazarus. Thanks for your ear, I love your program!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: TPrinterSetupDialog will not execute under Virturalbox

Post by mpack »

Code does not "execute under VirtualBox". It executes under the guest OS, which is not special in any way.

In a VM the peripheral hardware (e.e. network card) is simulated. The CPU and the guest OS is real. Your error results from the guest OS are real.

I'm afraid that "it does not run" is not sufficiently diagnostic to enable me to make any concrete suggestions. I would suggest that if you have problems getting Lazarus projects to run then a Lazarus support site might be a good choice.

p.s. This is not a VirtualBox or even a forum suggestion, so it doesn't belong in the "Suggestions" forum. Unfortunately you don't mention what the guest OS is, and the Lazarus IDE is cross platform - but I'm going to guess Windows guest and move you there.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: TPrinterSetupDialog will not execute under Virturalbox

Post by BillG »

Perhaps it fails in a vm because it cannot "see" any printers? How is the vm networked? How is the printer attached to the host?
Bill