[WorksForMe] Blue screen with WinXP

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
boxino

[WorksForMe] Blue screen with WinXP

Post by boxino »

Using virtualbox ( into linux debian 8 ) I have a virtual machine on which I have installed some programs with a lot of data. I would not like to reinstall everything. Yesterday was ok, then the blue screens started.
I had mistakenly started a program to install an existing program, because and what influenced I do not know. I tried to install a previous version of guest addition (5.1.30) and later the last (5.2.2), were installed 5.2.1 (if I remember correctly). In fact it only goes into safe mode but some programs do not work in this mode.
Is there a way to solve the problem?
Thank you in advance.

http://tinypic.com/r/mb4e13/9
Last edited by socratis on 17. May 2018, 13:46, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [WorksForMe].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Blue screen with WinXP

Post by socratis »

We're going to need to see a VM log from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM.
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
boxino

Post by boxino »

See you!
Attachments
WinXP-Cat-2017-12-21-17-10-15.log.zip
Zip LOG
(27.95 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

That must be one of the worst screenshots I've ever seen. Does your Linux host have no ability to capture a portion of the screen to a PNG?

I suggest:
  • Disable 3D acceleration, and 2D acceleration if enabled.
  • Install VirtualBox 5.2.4 in the host.
  • While in safe mode, install Guest Additions 5.2.4 in the guest.
Let's see where that takes us.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I couldn't see anything popping out in the log as well.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
boxino

Post by boxino »

I installed version 5.2.4 of the program. I tried with the old driver does not work, I then tried with the new driver keeping enabled 3D and 2D acceleration, disabling them individually and without. It does not work. I attach zip.
Bye

(P.S. The screenshot with the active machine does not work, I took a picture).
Attachments
WinXP-Cat-2017-12-22-11-43-25.log.zip
(22.5 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

All right, we seem to have eliminated all VirtualBox code from consideration.

If it boots in safe mode then that isolates the problem to apps or drivers which do not load in safe mode, and which is not the VirtualBox GAs. I can only suggest that you consider any third party software that you might have installed recently, and get rid of it by whatever means necessary.
boxino

Post by boxino »

The problem is the virtualized disk controller. I used SATA and it did not work while under IDE, at the moment it works. Probable some VM changes that XP does not handle correctly.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

1. That's not what the log said, the log showed an IDE controller:
    00:00:00.730629 [/Devices/piix3ide/0/LUN#0/Config/] (level 5)
    00:00:00.730632   Format    <string>  = "VDI" (cb=4)
    00:00:00.730633   Mountable <integer> = 0x0000000000000000 (0)
    00:00:00.730634   Path      <string>  = "/media/ut-debian8/DATI-SSD/Xp-VirtualBox-CAT/XP.vdi" (cb=59)
    00:00:00.730636   Type      <string>  = "HardDisk" (cb=9)
  2. Is this the same issue as in that other thread of yours ("WinXP will not start anymore") that was closed with the exact same message?
boxino

Post by boxino »

Because the same solution worked for both cases. Perhaps the following updates have been more effective but I can not know this. Bye!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Topic locked to prevent further vandalism from user 'boxino'.