After update to 5.2 32-bit Windows Application fails to run

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
BlacknapkinsUK

After update to 5.2 32-bit Windows Application fails to run

Post by BlacknapkinsUK »

I just upgraded my Oracle VM Virtual Box for Windows 10 from 4.x to 5.2
The Guest OS is 32-bit Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1
The new 5.2.4 guest additions have been installed.

My 32-bit windows application, that previously ran in this VM, now fails to run after the upgrade to 5.2.

The application loads and I see a single process consuming 680K of memory and no CPU but the entry point to the application has has not been reached. Running the application in the Visual Studio 2013 debugger (that is installed in the VM) does not reach the break point at the application entry point, and the stack appears to be in ntdll.

Does the upgrade to 5.2 require any extra updates to the existing Guest OS?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: After update to 5.2 32-bit Windows Application fails to run

Post by mpack »

No, 5.2 has no additional requirements on supported hosts.

Please provide a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click it in the GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (ONLY) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
BlacknapkinsUK

Post by BlacknapkinsUK »

Thanks for the quick response to my query. I needed to rule out some other variables but I now have a log of a session in which Windows 7 is up to date and the only operation being performed is the installation of my application and launching this application.

This is a version of my software that previously installed and ran with version 4.x of Virtual Box running the same virtual machine.

After launching my application I see the process running (although no CPU utilization is recorded) but no UI opens and (in separate tests) I see that the first debuggable line of my code is not even reached.

I will guess that while I can still get version 4.x of Virtual Box I may not be able to downgrade the current VMs so I will need to rebuild all of my virtual machines :-(

Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated!
Attachments
Windows 7-2017-12-27-18-10-24.zip
(25.09 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

OK, I see nothing wrong with the VM (e.g. you have plenty of RAM). At first glance, any problems you have running apps in the guest would appear to have nothing to do with VirtualBox. Unless you can pinpoint where the guest is hanging.

I do notice that you only allocated one core, so the guest OS will be liable to bog down when busy. You could afford to increase the RAM allocation too, certainly to 2GB.