Emulating VirtualPC XP Mode with VirtualBox

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Toxeia

Emulating VirtualPC XP Mode with VirtualBox

Post by Toxeia »

I have a user that needs to use some old software designed for Windows 95. It runs without issue in XP, so I had previously set her up with XP Mode for the application. It's been great, but her computer's giving up the ghost, and due to licensing I won't be able to use Windows 7 and the XP Mode solution any longer. After searching for a solution, it seemed that VirtualBox would be the most likely answer to this problem, and for the most part I've got it figured out.

Running VirtualBox 5.2.2 on a Windows 10 Pro host.
Windows XP Pro guest with 10GB HDD and 256 memory.

Using a batch file to start the guest in seamless mode at startup:

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\vboxmanage" setextradata WinXP GUI/Seamless on
"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\vboxmanage" startvm WinXP -type GUI
Created a shortcut to a batch file allow the user to access the software when she needs it:

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\vboxmanage" guestcontrol WinXP start --exe "C:\program\program.exe" --username User --password Password
This works relatively well, save a few issues.

First, the task bar at the bottom of the screen would become a hindrance. I found a program called Taskbar Killer that allowed me to hide the taskbar completely from within the guest.
Second, the pop up control menu for the virtual machine at the bottom of a screen is also a small distraction. If I could find a way to get rid of it, that would be great. Any recommendations?
And most frustrating, after closing the program an image of the XP desktop background is left behind. It's literally a window into the guest machine. (Example provided at bottom of post) Any solutions?

Thinking on this issue, I'm wondering if there is some sort of X Server/Client solution that may be better suited for my purposes. I could run the virtual machine in the background either on her machine or elsewhere on the network, and using xming or some similar software remotely display just the software I'm trying to make available.

If I can resolve the existing issues I would prefer to use the VirtualBox seamless feature as it would allow me to completely disable network connectivity of the guest machine, rather than having to worry about security patches and issues on an abandoned operating system on my network.

Example of window issue. Can't post an actual link, so replace the "^" with a "."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRnNNLOdvKw
Last edited by socratis on 21. Dec 2017, 09:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed obfuscated URLs.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Emulating VirtualPC XP Mode with VirtualBox

Post by BillG »

Have you considered connecting to the vm using Windows RDP rather than VirtualBox? That would give you the XP vm in full screen with just the Windows RDP toolbar at the top. The vm could be running locally or on some other PC on your LAN.
Bill
Toxeia

Re: Emulating VirtualPC XP Mode with VirtualBox

Post by Toxeia »

I'm trying to avoid a full screen scenario such as RDP.

I've thought up a work around to my background issue though. If there were a way for me to draw a 1x1 pixel it would resolve that issue.

Otherwise, if I allow the Windows XP task bar to draw on the screen then it won't leave the background when the window is closed. Realizing this is what gave me the idea about the 1x1 pixel. I could also just put a toolbar on the task bar to let them open the program, and put it in the startup folder as well. So they use the batch file to open the VM in seamless mode, it finishes booting and throws up the program they need. Then when they finish they shut down with the Windows XP start menu. I'd like to find a way to minimize that window during boot-up though. I believe NIrsoft has a command line utility that would allow that, so I'll look into that.

Still can't put links in my post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lzh3y_gwLo

Edit: I've achieved "Good enough." This is the final product using NirCMD from Nirsoft to minimize the window during bootup, and adding a shortcut to a batch file on the Windows XP taskbar to shutdown.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsB78FJkbcI
Last edited by socratis on 21. Dec 2017, 09:43, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed obfuscated URLs.