Raw disk booting of Windows 10 broken with Ubuntu artful

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Ramon Casero

Raw disk booting of Windows 10 broken with Ubuntu artful

Post by Ramon Casero »

Summary: I had Windows 10 (guest) booting as a raw disk from Ubuntu 17.04 (host). With the upgrade to Ubuntu 17.10 (artful), VirtualBox goes to grub2, instead of booting Windows 10.

More detail: I have the following partitions:
gparted.png
gparted.png (88.29 KiB) Viewed 6969 times
The machine is a Dell XPS 15. Windows lives in /dev/nvme0n1p3, and Ubuntu in /dev/nvme0n1p7. From linux, I create a raw disk

Code: Select all

sudo VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename ~/VirtualBox_VMs/win10pro.vmdk -rawdisk /dev/nvme0n1 -partitions 1,2,3,4,5,6
This creates files ~/VirtualBox_VMs/win10pro.vmdk and VirtualBox_VMs/win10pro-pt.vmdk.

I change the owner of the files to my regular user, so that VirtualBox can access them

Code: Select all

sudo chown $USER:$USER VirtualBox_VMs/win10pro*
To create the VM:
  1. I launch VirtualBox 5.1.30_Ubuntu r118389
  2. Create a new VM named "Windows_10_Pro"
  3. Increase RAM to 8192 MB
  4. "Use an existing virtual hard disk file" -> ~/VirtualBox_VMs/win10pro.vmdk
In the new VM Settings, I make the following changes
  1. System -> Enable EFI (special OSes only)
  2. Display -> Enable 3D Acceleration
  3. Display -> Enable 2D Acceleration
  4. Display -> Video Memory = 256 MB
  5. Storage -> win10pro.vmdk -> Solid-state Drive
When I click "Start" for the VM, however, it goes to a "GNU GRUB" screen:
grub.png
grub.png (27.34 KiB) Viewed 6969 times
This was working before upgrading to Ubuntu artful. "Start" would just launch Windows 10. When I saw that it had stopped working, I deleted the VM, created a new one with the steps above, but I still get the GNU GRUB screen.

Although Windows 10 doesn't boot from VirtualBox anymore, I can launch it from the initial dual boot menu when I switch the laptop on. So Windows 10 hasn't broken, and works as before.

Any ideas?
jkane13

Re: Raw disk booting of Windows 10 broken with Ubuntu artful

Post by jkane13 »

I am not being very helpful ... I had all kinds of problems trying to get EFI to work on even 17.04 with raw partitions. I went back to regular BIOS and using grub. My upgrade to 17.10 has the host went pretty smoothly. Needed a couple extra reboots to clean things up, but has been working pretty good. On the windows as a guest side anyhow.

I have separate SSD drives fully partitioned to each OS. Not trying to share one drive partitioned.

I guess I am just saying that maybe EFI isn't as ready for prime time as it should be by now!
cmcinroy

Post by cmcinroy »

Ramon, I have the same problem... likely because I followed your excellent guide on github (thank you) to get the VM working originally. I see your notes there regarding woes associated with the 17.10 upgrade. I can echo those, having experienced the same problems... including your post here. In fact, google led me here when searching for a solution. I will continue to seek a solution. Thanks for your efforts, they have been very helpful to me.

EDIT: FYI, I also updated to the latest version of VirtualBox (5.2.6r120293), but still see the same result.
nherb

Post by nherb »

You can enter this in GRUB to Start Windows 10.

insmod chain
set root=(hd0,gpt1)
chainloader /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
boot

found at
stackoverflow (dot) com/questions/51101487/booting-raw-disk-windows-10-vm-in-virtualbox-boots-to-grub-shell

dunno how to automate :-D