Big video problem on Windows 10 64bit guest after upgrading Guest Addition and VM (disappointed)

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
nodn1
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: windows linux bsd android and others

Big video problem on Windows 10 64bit guest after upgrading Guest Addition and VM (disappointed)

Post by nodn1 »

Hi to everybody, ........................................................................................................(added new content at the end of this page, new edit are near to the 4 asterisk **** )

i get invited from VirituaBox to Upgrade to latest version and I follow the suggestion. My host machine is a Windows 7 64bit, cpu i7 3,40 ghz, 32 gb ram, ssd and the host is working perfectly. Using Ubuntu as guest, Windows XP and Windows 7 both 32 and 64 bit all work. After the VirtualBox upgrade to version 5.1.30 r118389 (Qt5.6.2) everything did seems ok, all guest operating systems worked fine after installed they specific Guest Addition and extension pack. The only guest operating system that had big problems to fit the display layout it has been windows 10 64. I tried to use the function "Auto resize guest display" and other visualization modality, restarted, switched off. Uninstalled the addons with windows app uninstaller, but one reinstalled I always get low resolution, the max is ............... I also used revo uninstaller and a similar app to remove the leftovers but once installed the Guest Additions for windows 10 64 bit I always get a low resolution. This fact has already happened few months a go but probability with som update it has disappeared and the windows 10 guest fitted the monitor without iteration.

Now my question, why it always happen on windows 10 guest? Actually is a very common operating system (according with Wikipedia has the 30% of os market share). Now, if it is so common, why on VirtualBox with a Windows 7 pro 64bit as host (the most common and probability the most tested and the most stable), has often problem about resolution to fit the monitor layout? I can't believe that VirtualBox Staff don't test a configuration like the mine that should be the most used and common in the 2017. Time a go I had problems with Linux Mint Cinnamon always for resolution and graphic in general, it told problem with acceleration, my video card has not really problem in acceleration, is a nvidia gaming level. I would like specified that all operating system are perfectly working and all fully updated. So, now, if you wont, if you are able, if you think is the case to make work an os released on July 29, 2015 with many free preview before. I hope that you fix once for all all graphic problems on windows 10 and previous microsoft oses, for instance, to full use windows 7 graphic capabilities (2D if I'm right), there is need to boot the os in 'safe mode' and once finished you said that is experimental, not for working use... I just remember you that windows 7 has been released on July 22, 2009, if my memory is correct I think that there is the same identical problem with windows vista guest... just to have a reference, windows vista has released on November 2006... If the your final message is, dear costumes, seen that this app for vm is free, you have to accept anything, maybe dear customer try with infinity string to launch from dos terminal and if don't work wait for a new release that for sure will fix and will improve everything, I think that this is over seen that you haven't yet fixed the windows vista e windows 7, i mean aero,WDDM,2d, max ram size blocked at 256 MB... (why not free adjustable, I need 2 GB for instance) I spend years to study all about VirtuallBox including many command line commands, I used VirtualBox for save money, but also for help to grow the open source and collective projects. Many my customers used a different vm not free, I insisted to use Virtualbox even if something was to improve. me and them are waiting for improves since years, thanks to all. I allow my self to left a suggestion. In all Virtualbox pages included the ones during te installation, specify and impose to agree that this vm is not to use in work environments, that is a project between software programming amateurs and specify that when an new os enter on market, Virtualbox will integrate and will make work it in years (see windows vista) and is not sure that it will happen (see linux mint cinnamon, the most common linux distro). If 8 years a go I'd found such description totally real, I'd continue to use my previous paying vm now all will work better in all senses. Now, staying based on virtualbox I lost time, i lost occasion to work in a manner more effective, I'd a little expert on that vm and many other thing. I appreciate the hobbyist that work around VirtualBox (I hope that no one reclaims a salary from Oracle, otherwise this should be shameful), program for fun should be really amusing. To get more fun, you can also improve quemu, xen, bochs and many other free projects. Seen that your effort can't generate a vm solid,fully compatible, and affordable, probably playing with other codes will make you happy and should be offer the way to 'copy solid and affordable parts in each project that you will explore, in that manner, with time, efforts, tests etc, maybe until 2030 you will have a very competitive vm at the level of the best on the 2030 world, I hope big success to all VirtualBox hobbyist developers, and all people that work/play around this project called VirtuaBox. The conclusion is: "sometime is less expensive to pay", and VirtualBox is a great Big example.

I am sorry to be state strong and sometime provocative, but after many years of patient and trouble caused from your vm, now I think that I have to explain what don't work and the discomforts tolerated. Even if you decide to delete this post does not matter for me, hiding your real abilities is your art. Anyway, I hope the best for you and your projects, from today you have a few less that follows your projects. Best Regard, Paolo Radaelli
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Big video problem on Windows 10 64bit guest after upgrading Guest Addition and VM (disappointed)

Post by socratis »

Thank you for giving me an excuse to petition for a new sub-forum: "Rants, incoherent rumblings and other mental issues". I will move your post there once the sub-forum is created. Thank you once again...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.