Windows 10 creators update 1709

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
PVOBJT

Windows 10 creators update 1709

Post by PVOBJT »

We have updated our windows 10 machines from 1703 to 1709. Unfortunately all network connections are gone after updating.
What could this be ?

I've already updated our virtualbox to the latest version. But this doesn't fix the issue also.
When i rollback these machines to 1703 everything works fine again. What could a fix be ?
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Windows 10 creators update 1709

Post by BillG »

I would never do that. Every upgrade has a good chance of causing a problem or two. Rolling back doubles your chances of something serious going wrong. You were lucky.

Shutting down the vms and reinstalling VirtualBox would have been my first move.

Networking of vms works fine version 1709. Something went wrong in the upgrade. Were the machines shut down or saved?
Bill
PeteThePen1

Post by PeteThePen1 »

Hi
I think I am having update 1709 issues too, but of a slightly different nature.

Before 1709 I was running VB on Win 10 with a Windows XP guest for Quicken accounting. I have run this guest successfully for some years initially under Linux, then Win 8 and now Win 10. Before Xmas the guest was running on VB 5.0.32 - 112930 with no problems. Post Xmas Win XP would not load so I updated VB to 5.1.30 -118389. That was an improvement as XP now started to load normally. It then presented the XP text screen that usually shows after a crash and offered safe start, normal start etc. Choosing safe start Win XP boots fully and looks as if it would be usable if horrible visually. In the other choices it crashes and the VB Guru Meditation window comes up generating an error log. Unfortunately the error log is 327kb so too large to upload uncompressed.
VBoxLog.zip
(55.35 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
Could it be that I shut down Win 10 while VB was minimised and Win XP was still running before quitting for Xmas? I certainly don't recall any shut down error messages. If I am not the culprit, then it looks like the 1709 update is to blame.

Your observations would be appreciated.

Pete C
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Could you please try to update to the current version 5.2.4?
PeteThePen1

Post by PeteThePen1 »

Hi Martin & Fellow Users

As requested I have installed the 5.2.4 Version of VB.

The result is slightly different as one might expect. My 'wide screen' version of Win XP starts to load and then stops with the Guru Meditation window. The error log is here:
VBox.Log060118.zip
(57.47 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
That version of XP will load in both windowed Safe Modes and, looking at the System Event Viewer, there are rather a lot of DCOM errors and Service Control Manager 7001 and 7026 errors. Internet searching suggests that it is not worth worrying about DCOM errors. I am not sure about Service Control Manager errors.

The Win XP error message screen at start up implies that the earlier 'failed' start was due to changed hardware or software. I have tried disabling the network adapter since the network is not used but this makes no difference. That was the only thing that I might have inadvertently changed during installation of 5.2.4.

My 'square' version of XP produces a similar result to the wide screen version. However, in its first run it crashes VB. I am sorry, but forgot to write down the error message.

Overall, I am not convinced that 5.2.4 has advanced the problem just yet.

As ever, your suggestions and observations would be welcome.

Pete
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Try increasing your graphics RAM (vm settings | Display) to something substantially more reasonable than 18MB.

Also, make sure that Hyper-v has not been enabled on the host by the 1709 update.
PeteThePen1

Post by PeteThePen1 »

Hi MPack and fellow users

Thanks for the latest suggestions. I have upped the screen display to 60MB on both my XP variants and have searched for Hyper-V. Happily the latter is not present/listed on this machine.

Given that an earlier poster in the 'Hardening' sticky (if I recall correctly) mentioned that un-installing his anti-virus software fixed a crashing problem, I checked the XP client and noticed that there was an ancient version of Avast AV there. I have un-installed that and also had a browse for other unnecessary stuff which led me to remove MSN explorer. The result of these actions is that the 'wide' XP version now boots correctly.

I have tested my alternative 'square' version of XP and find that the change to the screen display does not make any difference to the crashing. However, removal of the Avast AV which was also on that version does have an impact. The 'Square' version now boots correctly and displays as it did before the 1709 update.

I am puzzled why the 2012 disc image of XP that I had tweeked into a 'square' and a 'wide screen' version has worked with Avast present all these years right up until 1709 was dumped upon us.

Anyway, many thanks to all of you that have posted suggestions. It is great to be able to have access to my XP legacy software again.

Regards

Pete
Stevan White

Post by Stevan White »

I had the same situation, I think.

In my case, I realized that the VirtualBox that came with my distro had been upgraded to 5.1x, while the
VirtualBox Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack
was still at version 5.0. I downloaded the latest version, opened it with VirtualBox, and installed it.

Several other things had to be adjusted, for instance, 3D acceleration required more RAM when it was turned on.
But I could then use USB 3.0.
Also, when the client system was started, it wanted the new VirtualBox Guest Additions installed. So I did that.

After, the update to Windows 10 1709 worked. Very very slowly ... but still.

Cheers!
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I'm afraid that discussion of the VirtualBox "version that came with your distro" doesn't belong here. These forums are hosted by Oracle for discussion of Oracle VirtualBox only, not third party forks. Try the official version from the downloads page, and if you still have a problem then you can discuss it here.