[Solved] Error when installing Office XP on WinXP

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
WeirdSystem

Re: Error when installing Office XP on WinXP

Post by WeirdSystem »

Hi ! I am back to report what happened .
I tried installing many different versions of WinXP , but again I couldn't install Office XP . However it seems that the problem was not the WinXP itself .
You see luckily a friend of mine lent me his CD of Office XP and I managed to install it . The difference of his CD was that it also contained SP3 (that is the SP3 of Office XP , not the same numbered SP3 of WinXP) . I really don't know why it was not possible to install Office XP from my own CD , despite having done so in many PCs running WinXP and even Win7 . There is a difference , however , between all those PCs , and this system on which I itried installing it now : this one was running on Virtual Box , not a real PC , although I can't imagine how this could affect it . Anyway , it seems that installing Office XP with SP3 instead of Office XP with no SP solves the problem .
So , now I can finally sit back and enjoy Virtual Box ! Let me give a thanks for all the effort , because thanks to you I can now enjoy the old WinXP programs ! There are a few more things that I can't fix , like the sound which is not perfect and the fact that the clock on the Guest system is different from that on the Host system . But I'll take a look here on the other topics and take some more time to experiment . I hope I'll solve them too .
Thanks again !
----
PS : Is there an option to mark this topic as solved ?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Error when installing Office XP on WinXP

Post by socratis »

WeirdSystem wrote:There are a few more things that I can't fix , like the sound
The sound "front" is being actively worked on, as I write this. Try the latest test builds, they might fix your issues. And yes, they're as stable as they come, that's all I use... ;)
WeirdSystem wrote:and the fact that the clock on the Guest system is different from that on the Host system
If you install the Guest Additions (see Ch. 4.2.1. Guest Additions for Windows), you'll get time synchronization between the host and the guest.
WeirdSystem wrote:PS : Is there an option to mark this topic as solved ?
I'll do it, but, for future reference, you edit the first post and change the title to "[Solved] Error..."

Thanks for the feedback!
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
WeirdSystem

Re: [Solved] Error when installing Office XP on WinXP

Post by WeirdSystem »

Thanks Socrate (on vocativ ! ) . I have installed the Guest Additions along with the main program . Both of version 5.2.2 . I guess I should change a setting or something in order to synchronize the two OSes ?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Nope, it comes with the package. If you scroll a little bit before, at the beginning of Ch. 4. Guest Additions, you'll see what you get when you install the GAs.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
WeirdSystem

Post by WeirdSystem »

Yes , I looked at it . But as far as I can understand it , I have to run some commands in order to achieve that . Afterall , my Guest OS is always out of synchronization with the Host , so it's not taken care automatically and I definitely have to do something . However , I don't even know how I access the command line ! Not to mention that I don't understand the syntax . Maybe an example would help an old guy like me ! :)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

There's no command line, there's no syntax, no nothing, if you don't want to. Just use the menu "Devices" » "Insert GAs CD image". If the Guest Additions (GAs) installer doesn't run automatically, you need to run "VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe" from your guest's CD drive. Just like the manual says...
WeirdSystem

Post by WeirdSystem »

I installed the GAs already from the start . And I took care to installed them through the Safe Mode . However the Guest clock is not getting synchronized with the Host's clock ...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Since your new problem has absolutely nothing to do with the title of the thread, please open a new thread with an appropriate title. Make sure to include a ZIPPED VBox.log after doing the following:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM.
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).