[Solved] Fall Creators Update wrong display resolution

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Advicer

[Solved] Fall Creators Update wrong display resolution

Post by Advicer »

After upgrading to Fall Creators Update virtual video driver no longer works as expected. The guest keeps fixed resolution 1400x1500 and does not dynamically resize to actual VirtualBox client window size.

Note: I use the latest version 5.1.30. I already tried to reinstall the Guest Additions several times. Log file attached.
Attachments
VBox.zip
(29.01 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Last edited by socratis on 8. Dec 2017, 15:07, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Fall Creators Update wrong display resolution

Post by socratis »

Advicer wrote:After upgrading to Fall Creators Update
Your host or your guest? Please specify...
  • Do you have multiple monitors? What's the resolution on these?
  • Do you run your guest in Full Screen? Try to start Windowed first and then switch to Full Screen.
  • Do you have the menu "View" » "Auto-resize Guest Display" checked?
  • What are your "VirtualBox Preferences" » "Display" » "Maximum Guest Screen Size" set to? Set it to either Automatic or None.
Finally, please consider updating to the latest and greatest VirtualBox 5.2.2 as of this writing, it might handle newer Win10 updates better.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Advicer

Post by Advicer »

socratis wrote:Your host or your guest? Please specify...
I was talking about the guest.
socratis wrote:Do you have multiple monitors? What's the resolution on these?
Single monitor at 1920x1080
socratis wrote:Do you run your guest in Full Screen? Try to start Windowed first and then switch to Full Screen.
It's always full screen. I toggled the full screen into windowed mode and back and it seems that now it's fixed.
socratis wrote:Do you have the menu "View" » "Auto-resize Guest Display" checked?
Yes
socratis wrote:What are your "VirtualBox Preferences" » "Display" » "Maximum Guest Screen Size" set to? Set it to either Automatic or None.
Automatic
socratis wrote:Finally, please consider updating to the latest and greatest VirtualBox 5.2.2 as of this writing, it might handle newer Win10 updates better.
I kept looking for updates, but it said that I had the latest version. I wonder why.

I manually downloaded and updated to the latest version of VirtualBox 5.2.2. I also had to toggle the full screen into windowed mode and back to full screen and it seems that now it's fixed.
Thanks for your suggestions @socratris
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Advicer wrote:Single monitor at 1920x1080
Then I don't know what's that doing in the logs. Maybe you've set up your VM to have two monitors?
00:00:02.712339 GUI:  Map mini-toolbar for window #0 to screen 1 of 2
Advicer wrote:I kept looking for updates, but it said that I had the latest version. I wonder why.
Because it checks for the minor revisions of a major upgrade. And 5.1.x => 5.2.x is a major upgrade.
Advicer wrote:I also had to toggle the full screen into windowed mode and back to full screen and it seems that now it's fixed.
That usually does it. It "resets" things back to normal, it gives them a "jolt".

Glad you got it going. Marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
grstatdoc

Re: [Solved] Fall Creators Update wrong display resolution

Post by grstatdoc »

I'm giving the 5.2.2 download a try
(I wasn't aware of the new version until I had found this discussion....) :!:
grstatdoc

Post by grstatdoc »

I did the toggle window and back, but I also needed to click on Auto-resize Guest display to get the display to behave properly.
Thanks again!
Valerio Paris Mitritsakis

Post by Valerio Paris Mitritsakis »

Advicer wrote:manually downloaded and updated to the latest version of VirtualBox 5.2.2. I also had to toggle the full screen into windowed mode and back to full screen and it seems that now it's fixed.
Thanks for your suggestions @socratris
Thanks, this just fixed mine too.