Windows 9x help

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Matt57

Windows 9x help

Post by Matt57 »

Good evening, I hope this is the right section...

I'm having a little issue with windows 9x. My question is: "Why there isn't VirtualGuestAdditions support for Windows 9x?".

I have already used other drivers but they doesn't work fine. Can you solve my problem please? Something like add support for Windows 9x.
Thanks anyway for your answers. :D
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows 9x help

Post by socratis »

There are no Guest Additions for Win 9x.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Matt57

Post by Matt57 »

Ok there are not additions for 9x guests but why? And why can't you create them...? I'm Having issues with windows 95/98 like I cannot set resolution to 1366x768
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

It would require a great deal of developer time to create Win98 Guest Additions. But, present a convincing business case (*) for investing development resources in a 20 year old defunct operating system and I'm sure it will get done.

Moving this topic to "Windows Guests".

(*) ps. "me wants" is probably not a good business case.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

In any case there is no reason why you can't set the display size to whatever you want in Win98. See the tutorials section.