Save state(.sav) and snapshots in different path

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
jor4ir

Save state(.sav) and snapshots in different path

Post by jor4ir »

Hi, Can I make Save state(.sav) file and snapshots in different path? e.g. .sav is stroed in D:\sav and snapshots are in E:\Snaphosts. Thanks.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Save state(.sav) and snapshots in different path

Post by socratis »

No. The snapshots and the saved state files are stored in the same location, as set in the VM preferences. That can be different from where the main HD is stored, but snapshots and saved state files go together.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I suspect that underlying this question is a more basic misunderstanding.

If you resent the space taken by snapshots on the default drive then the best solutions are (a) stop using snapshots, or (b) move the entire VM to a different drive (see Howto: Move a VM).

It is not a good idea to scatter the contents of a VM folder all over the shop, it will make it well nigh impossible to make backups or otherwise move VMs e.g. to new hosts.
jor4ir

Post by jor4ir »

socratis wrote:No. The snapshots and the saved state files are stored in the same location, as set in the VM preferences. That can be different from where the main HD is stored, but snapshots and saved state files go together.
Understand :D .