Can't resize vdi file

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
joe7dust

Can't resize vdi file

Post by joe7dust »

I'm getting this error (see attached) when I try to run the resize command.
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (99.48 KiB) Viewed 1954 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Can't resize vdi file

Post by socratis »

Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
joe7dust

Post by joe7dust »

I've read that, still not sure what this error is about. You may have to scroll down the screenshot to see the error.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You may also need to provide the Minimum information needed for assistance, such as complete and detailed version host information and VirtualBox complete and detailed version.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
joe7dust

Post by joe7dust »

Windows 8.1 64bit host, Windows 10 32bit guest. VB 5.2.0. 16GB RAM to host, 8GB to guest.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I can't say that I remember seeing this before... RTMsgRefEntryPrintStringTable is indeed a VirtualBox function. Why it can't be found? No clue. But I would uninstall/re-install VirtualBox to make sure that everything is set up properly:
  1. Uninstall VirtualBox. Your VMs are going to be untouched. Reboot.
  2. You may want to clean up your registry and/or filesystem at this point. CCleaner is a freeware utility that could help you. Mind the installation, it comes with "offers" from 3rd parties, known as "bundleware". Also, check out Device Cleanup program that helps you to remove any unused devices from your computer.
  3. Download (if you haven't already) the latest VirtualBox and its matching ExtPack. Store them in a common location, i.e. not on "Desktop", or "Documents", but to "Public/Downloads" for example.
  4. Locate the downloaded file in Windows Explorer. Right-click on the installer and select "Run-as-Administrator", even if you are the administrator. At the end of the installation, choose to "Start Oracle VM VirtualBox". Do not worry if your VMs do not show up.
  5. If you're going to install the ExtPack, go to File » Preferences » Extensions. Click on the icon with the orange, down-pointing arrow on the right. Select the ExtPack from the previous steps.
  6. Quit VirtualBox. Re-start VirtualBox as you would normally, i.e. from the Desktop shortcut or the Start menu.
  7. Update the Guest Additions (GAs) in your guest(s), if the GAs are available for a specific guest.
PS. "Windows 10" is not a version, it's a family, that's why I asked about "complete and detailed version information". "Win10, 1709" for example would better describe your guest version.

PPS. If your Windows 10 is indeed the 32-bit kind, you don't need to assign 8 GB. Please verify from the Task Manager that it only sees ~3.5 GB of RAM, so don't give your guest any more than that, it's getting wasted...
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I've seen issues like this before when the user has been copying VirtualBox executables around into other folders, then when they next update VirtualBox they have a mix of executable versions.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

And it seems that VirtualBox is in the path somehow, or it has been copied as you said, since the OP is not running "VBoxManage" from its standard location.
joe7dust

Post by joe7dust »

I ended up just starting over. 8gb was a typo, I gave it 3gb. Yeah I put copies in system32 for troubleshooting.