Graphic corruption with Windows 10

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Renton

Re: Graphic corruption with Windows 10

Post by Renton »

I had the same issue but turning off 3Dac make fullscreen mode wont refresh the screen unless I change between desktops.

What do work for me with 3Dac on was change from VBoxSVGA to VBoxVGA. Now Win10 Works perfectly even in fullscreen.

Host: High Sierra (16GB RAM, 8 Cores, HD 3000/Radeon 6750)
Guest: Win10 1809 x64 with Guest Additions (8GB RAM, 4 Cores, 256MB Video Memory)
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Renton wrote:What do work for me with 3Dac on was change from VBoxSVGA to VBoxVGA.
And that's the danger of giving advice to old threads. When that thread was being discussed, there was no option for VBoxSVGA, only VBoxVGA.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
RokenPrice

Post by RokenPrice »

And a year later it's still a problem. Disabling 3D acceleration fixes a number of issues (e.g. VLC on the guest wouldn't play video, silently quitting when I tried, kodi wouldn't launch, Win 10 settings windows were so horribly corrupted it's impossible to know what you are doing). Turning off 3D acceleration allows everything to run, but obviously without acceleration, video is still a problem.

EDIT: Kodi doesn't start. I played with output options for VLC and now got it working. 3D acceleration still doesn't.

Arch host, Win 10 (properly licensed) guest.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

RokenPrice wrote:Arch host, Win 10 (properly licensed) guest.
You didn't mention the most important factor; your GPU and its drivers.

If you enable 3D acceleration, the calls in the guest are translated into OpenGL calls for the host, hence the GPU acceleration (otherwise it's all CPU). Now, if your host's GPU is a subpar one, you are seeing artifacts.

Get yourself a new/borrowed GPU and try it. See if you still have the same results. Because there's not that much VirtualBox can do if the hardware is crappy...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
DeveloperAtC

Post by DeveloperAtC »

I have upgraded to the latest 6.0.4 build - and switched the driver to the newer VBoxSVGA driver (was VBoxVGA) - and the screen corruption in Windows 10 (1809) on my AMD Radeon 7950X stopped occurring (at least for the last hour).
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

As has already been mentioned, the VBoxSVGA option did not exist when this topic was created therefore you cannot possibly be discussing the same issue. It's clear that this topic will only serve to attract "me too" posts for evermore, so I'm going to lock it.