VHD image corrupted by Windows 10 update

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
johnb3030

VHD image corrupted by Windows 10 update

Post by johnb3030 »

I'm running VirtualBox v5.1.28 on a Windows 10 Pro 64-bit system. I use it to run a virtual instance of Windows XP Pro.

Anytime I make a significant change to the virtual XP machine, I save an updated snapshot. I keep the four most recent snapshots and delete the older ones.

Last week, I was deleting the oldest snapshot. The process indicated it was 100% complete, but the window didn't close. When I came back to the host machine sometime later, I found that Windows 10 had installed the Fall Creators Update and re-booted itself.

This has resulted in a corrupted VHD image. When I start VirtualBox now, I get a message that my VHD file cannot be opened. Here is the text of the error message:
=====================================================
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine I5-650-XP.

Could not open the medium 'C:\Users\John\VirtualBox VMs\I5-650-XP\Snapshots/{aece0c8a-cb63-4544-948a-71b4a39c5f23}.vhd'.

VD: error VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND opening image file 'C:\Users\John\VirtualBox VMs\I5-650-XP\Snapshots/{aece0c8a-cb63-4544-948a-71b4a39c5f23}.vhd' (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: MediumWrap
Interface: IMedium {4afe423b-43e0-e9d0-82e8-ceb307940dda}
=====================================================
Is there a way to recover from this failure?

I know there is now a v5.1.30 release, but I haven't installed it yet for fear of possibly making the situation worse.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

John
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VHD image corrupted by Windows 10 update

Post by socratis »

The error is rather clear: VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND. Can you see the referenced VHD file in your WinExplorer?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.