very slow on windows chkdsk boot time

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Monday Woo

very slow on windows chkdsk boot time

Post by Monday Woo »

I am a chinese with bad english. I have a VirtualBox machine running windows 7. when boot to safemode or chkdsk on startup, the graphics very slow. before some day, it's normal. i do not remeber what had happen on that day. i had change virtualbox to 4.3, 5.0, 5.1, 5.2, change graphics card to nvidia gt730 and amd hd6570, but still not fix it.

how can i do?
Attachments
捕获.JPG
捕获.JPG (27.98 KiB) Viewed 3595 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: very slow on windows chkdsk boot time

Post by mpack »

Not a host question. Moved to "Windows Guests".

Why is the drive performing a check at all?

What kind of host drive is the VDI stored on?
Monday Woo

Post by Monday Woo »

virtualbox run at a windows7. then the guest is also windows7. host reboot without shutdown the guest, so i run a chkdsk mission on the guest boot.
the attathment picutre is a capture of guest.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Good. Let it run. These things take some time. Nothing unusual from that clue alone...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Monday Woo

Post by Monday Woo »

but it run very very slow, you can see the character one by one display. it's very fast before. maybe i should upload a video that you can see.
Monday Woo

Post by Monday Woo »

you can watch this video: https://youtu.be/rGsyBjejbyk

This is not normal running speed, before is good, I do not know why it becomes so slow. i had try virtualbox 4.3\5.0\5.1\5.2, nothing fix. i had change videocard to hd6570\gt730, nothing fix.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

That seems normal for the *text boot* of Win7.
If you want to continue the discussion, see Minimum information needed for assistance.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Monday Woo

Post by Monday Woo »

... that does not normal. before it is very fast. since someday, one of my guest is windows-xp, became very very slow, then all of the guest's text boot became slow. and the slow's reason is graphics display very slow.

sorry for my bad english, and thx for your patience.
Last edited by Monday Woo on 2. Nov 2017, 04:53, edited 2 times in total.
Monday Woo

Post by Monday Woo »

virtuslbox is 5.0.22. guest is windows7

host is i7 32g, win7 64bit, gt730 videocard. guest is windows7 64bit, 4g, 2cpu.

C:\Users\Administrator>vboxmanage list extpacks
Extension Packs: 1
Pack no. 0: Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack
Version: 5.0.22
Revision: 108108
Edition:
Description: USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 Host Controller, Host Webcam, VirtualBox RDP,
PXE ROM, Disk Encryption.
VRDE Module: VBoxVRDP
Usable: true
Why unusable:
Attachments
vmlogs.zip
(115.68 KiB) Downloaded 203 times
vminfo.txt
(3.99 KiB) Downloaded 203 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

VirtualBox VM 5.0.22 r108108 win.amd64 (Jun 16 2016 12:43:27) release log
That's a way too old and unsupported version of VirtualBox. Please update to the latest and greatest.
Chipset:         ich9
WHY??? Please change it to the default 'PIIX3'.
3D Acceleration:       off
2D Video Acceleration: off
Please enable both of them. And then re-install the Guest Additions (GAs).
Air Force One
Primary OS: MS Windows other
Guest OSses: Windows

Post by Air Force One »

I would like to give my 2 cents here and double on this, even if this isn‘t a big issue. I have here one Windows 7 x86 VM on Windows 8.1 x64 hardware (sorry, my processor has no hardware virtualization, so I have to use a x86 VM). This happens every time a have to boot in safe mode, and I need safe mode at least every time I have to update guest additions on the Windows 7. On booting in safe mode Windows 7 prints name of every loaded driver and it can be literally seen how every line appears on the screen and the rest moves up.

Maybe it’s because I have an old Intel graphics, or this is general problem with text emulation, I don’t know. I also attach my log files. This happens all the time with this VM, as I can remember. So now I’m on the last 5.2.1 beta, but this also happens with previous releases, at least for the last three years. I’m now using the 5.2.1-118869 with guest additions installed (but this happens in pre-boot time), host is Windows 8 x64 with 4GB total, guest is Windows 7 x86 with 1GB right now (giving 2GB here doesn’t change anything in this aspect).
Attachments
VBoxLogs.zip
(53.39 KiB) Downloaded 201 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Air Force One wrote:I need safe mode at least every time I have to update guest additions on the Windows 7.
Just FYI, if you install the WDDM drivers you don't have to boot in safe mode.
Monday Woo

Post by Monday Woo »

to socratis:
1, i had try vittualbox 4.3 5.0. 5.1 5.2, it still very slow
2, i had try it, sames
3, i had try it, same slow

to Air Force One:
thx. i had try intel graphics card on mainboard, amd hd6570, nvidia gt730, all slow. but it is fast as host as before.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I realize that after all these post it hasn't sunk in yet. So let me repeat it:
It is what it is. Everybody has the same behavior, it's not just you. For every VirtualBox version. Live with it, accept the fact.
Monday Woo

Post by Monday Woo »

... i do not know what to say. it is fast before. it is fast before. it is fast before. i repeat it 3 times because it is just the fact, or not i will not post on forum for help. if you think it is normal, that is ok.

you can make host to safemode, watch the boot speed. does the guest should not have the same speed? and this won't happen on vmware.