very slow on windows chkdsk boot time

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: very slow on windows chkdsk boot time

Post by mpack »

I suggest that you go ahead and raise a BugTracker ticket to describe the problem. If you can pin down the exact version at which behaviour changed then that would be the most helpful for the devs.
Air Force One
Primary OS: MS Windows other
Guest OSses: Windows

Post by Air Force One »

socratis wrote:
Air Force One wrote:I need safe mode at least every time I have to update guest additions on the Windows 7.
Just FYI, if you install the WDDM drivers you don't have to boot in safe mode.
Thank you for the tip but I have a little problem here. I use desktop Java program (TV Browser) and it has rendering problems with WDDM drivers. You can try this program, it has a portable edition. So WDDM drivers renders this program nearly unusable. This way I have a choice between regular Direct3D support and no Direct3D at all. And I don’t know which drawbacks I will see without Direct3D, so once a while I kiss the frog, boot in a Windows safe mode and install drivers with regular Direct3D support.

Now let us see it as it is: the WDDM Aero support is still experimental after all these years. And those drivers are only used in Vista and Windows 7. The newer properly signed Direct3D drivers are available only for Windows 8 and above and are kind of mandatory there. Vista is already not supported by MS and Windows 7 has a little more than 2 years of support left. You might correct me, but I can’t see some big chances for the WDDM drivers to be corrected in the near future, so they would work with this Java program. If I’m wrong I can file the bug anytime soon.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Please don't hijack someone else's topic. The OP made no mention of problems with WDDM drivers, therefore any such discussion is off topic.