[SOLVED] Printer HP J4660 is recognized as unspecified device

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Zencarmax
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows 10

[SOLVED] Printer HP J4660 is recognized as unspecified device

Post by Zencarmax »

Hi, my Windows10 64bits (guest) only recognizes my printer j4660 as unspecified device it appears Virtualbox (5.2) properly recognizes the printer because I can add/check the usb filter (j4660 series) but, when I check the filter, the Windows only recognizes the thing as unknown device, don't know if this problem it's on windows drivers or in the virtualbox filter. I'm sending prints, maybe they can help you.

Tks

:roll: :roll: :cry: :cry: :!: :!: :?: :?:
Attachments
print1 The filter
print1 The filter
Captura de tela de 2017-10-10 05-36-49.png (48.02 KiB) Viewed 2308 times
print2 The Device
print2 The Device
print.png (17.39 KiB) Viewed 2308 times
Last edited by Zencarmax on 12. Nov 2017, 10:31, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Printer HP J4660 is recognized as unspecified device

Post by mpack »

Actually, VirtualBox doesn't recognize any USB device as anything - it only provides the connection. It's up to the guest OS to do the recognizing. In this case I suspect that (for some reason) the guest OS can't find out what driver is required for this USB device, so you may need to find and install the driver manually.

You may be well advised to remove some of the fields in your USB filter - it should specify only the minimum number needed to identify the device. Some complex USB devices are composite, i.e. they are actually multiple devices behind a hub, so matching the filter to a single device would prevent other members of the composite from being usable.

p.s. Having one VM steal exclusive ownership of a printer is not an ideal way to use a printer, since it prevents other VMs and the host from using it. It is far better to enable printer sharing on the host, and connect each VM to the host using bridged or "host only" networking.
Zencarmax

Post by Zencarmax »

I've done the HP drivers instalation but it doesn't worked too. I think the guest system can't "see" my printer as a printer... at least the HP driver installer couldn't.
In time, I have already tested this printer with the windows10 in dual-boot and it worked.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Follow mpack's advice and delete some of the values. Or even better, follow mpack's advice and share the printer as a "network printer" with your host. In any case, follow mpack's advice... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Zencarmax

Post by Zencarmax »

Understood, the thing is: I've already shared my printer in Debian (host) but... I really can't find it in windows, in my laptop with Debian I did it without problems.

Tks
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

If you used SMB sharing (also referred to as Samba or Windows sharing) to share the printer from your host, and you have setup your network so that your host can communicate with your guest, you should be able to see it. Now, about the latter part, the networking...

There are several modes of "network" in VirtualBox. Please read the following: User Manual, ch. 6.2. Introduction to networking modes including the Overview table, which shows quickly what kind of connection is required to achieve what you want.

And remember, you can always have more than one network card in your guest to cover multiple scenarios. So, you could have one adapter set to "NAT" for quick internet access, and a second adapter set to "Host-Only" for communications with the host. Or if your network can handle it (and it covers your needs as well), one adapter only, set to "Bridged".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Zencarmax

Post by Zencarmax »

Good news fellas, I finally found out what was the problem: It's the USB version of the VirtualBox wich came by default in 1.1 and after changing that to 3.0 all my things worked!! Now my print is rightfully recognized and all my external hd too.

So Thanks for all the answers!

Rgs :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: [SOLVED] Printer HP J4660 is recognized as unspecified device

Post by mpack »

Thanks for reporting back.