Windows 10 stops accepting USB multitouch + pen

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
MrcJkb

Windows 10 stops accepting USB multitouch + pen

Post by MrcJkb »

I have my Wacom multitouch and pen passed via a USB device filter to my Windows 10 guest (Host: Arch Linux running VirtualBox 5.2).
Whenever I stop using touch for a certain amount of time, Windows stops recognizing it. I have to either scan for hardware in the device manager or (since VB 5.2) exit full screen and reenter to get it working again. Has anyone encountered this issue and found a fix/workaround?

On a side note: Passing touch input via a USB device filter disables it on Arch. Is this intended behaviour?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows 10 stops accepting USB multitouch + pen

Post by socratis »

MrcJkb wrote:Whenever I stop using touch for a certain amount of time, Windows stops recognizing it.
  • Follow a "start the VM from cold-boot" / "observe error" / "shutdown the VM" cycle.
  • With the VM shut down completely (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
  • If you can see anything related in the Windows Event Viewer, please export that information and attach it as well.
MrcJkb wrote:On a side note: Passing touch input via a USB device filter disables it on Arch. Is this intended behaviour?
Absolutely. USB devices cannot be shared. Take a look at the following thread: USB basics and troubleshooting, all of the posts. Please follow the advice of the last post and attach that information as well. In the case of the "VBoxManage list usbhost" it would be helpful if you do it without having attached all 293 USB devices available to you, only the USB device of interest...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
MrcJkb

Post by MrcJkb »

Thanks for the quick reply!
I have added the log and two "HID compliant digitizer" Windows Event Viewer entries.
The bash output from the last USB basics & troubleshooting post is included in the "info.txt" file within the zip archive.

In the "start the VM from cold-boot" / "observe error" / "shutdown the VM" cycle, I omitted the workaround (exiting full screen and reentering) to keep the log file brief.
If you need log info for that, let me know.
Attachments
vbox_logs.zip
(50.39 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
MrcJkb

Post by MrcJkb »

I have found a solution:

In Windows Device Manager, right click on the device (listed under "Human Interface Devices" - in my case it was "Wacom Device") and open the properties.
On the "Power Management" tab, uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

P.S. A "workaround" for not being able to share USB devices between the host and guest could be to allow users to define keyboard shortcuts for ejecting/inserting them (similar to what is done with mouse capture).
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

MrcJkb wrote:On the "Power Management" tab, uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".
Hey, that's excellent detective work! There was nothing in the VBox.log that was showing any sign that this was happening, I guess mostly because it had to do with Windows itself and not with VirtualBox. But I'll squeeze that tip in the FAQ...
USB basics and troubleshooting[/url], [url=https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=82639#p390402]#5: Common problems wrote:
  • Device gets randomly disconnected
    • Check the power options for that device. Make sure that the guest OS does not shut down the device in order to save power.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.