Error When Installing Guest Additions.

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
dgsmith1228@gmail.com

Error When Installing Guest Additions.

Post by dgsmith1228@gmail.com »

Hi all !
First time poster. I have VirtualBox running on my WIn 10 laptop with Windows 95 as the guest OS.
One thing I wanted to do was set up file sharing between machines. Following directions I clicked DEVICE>INSTALL GUEST ADDITONS After which I got the following error message....
Picture of Error Message
Picture of Error Message
error_msg.jpg (15.1 KiB) Viewed 4718 times
Anybody see this before? Reinstalled VBox with no results.
All help is greatly appreciated.
Dave
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Error When Installing Guest Additions.

Post by socratis »

Moving to "Windows Guests" from "Using VirtualBox". You clearly have an issue with your guest.

There are no Guest Additions for anything Win9* or WinMe. See User's Manual, ch. 4.2.1 Guest Additions for Windows.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
dgsmith1228@gmail.com

Thanks socratis,
Read the manual. See what you mean. So how can I share files with the host and my Win95 guest?
Thanks
Dave
FrodoHobbits
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows, QNX & Linux

Post by FrodoHobbits »

More reading I'm afraid :)
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=9918
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

The linked article is a little bit thin on the details, so I'll try to fill in the gaps, plus bring it into this "decade" (that article was written in 2008).

The original author is correct, you cannot use shared folders, you'll have to use standard Windows networked shares (SMB), or something "else" (more on this, later on). If you look at Ch. 6.2. Introduction to networking modes and the Overview table, you have two options if you want to communicate with the host via a network; HostOnly and Bridged.

Now, the problem is that, Win98 being 20 years old, doesn't support the newest SMB security, so you can *not* connect from a Win98 system to a Win10 shared folder. Nope. But, you *can* connect from a Win10 system to a Win98 shared folder. So, share a folder from your Win98 VM, and you will see it in the Network section of your Win10 host. If you set it up with the appropriate read-write permissions, you can read and write to your guest's shared folder.

The other mechanism that you have at your disposal (the "else" from before), is to use the traditional snail-mail approach via a USB stick, although that is more troublesome. It's doable, but more complicated, avoid it if you can. I won't go into details for the moment, stick with the SMB shares...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Carlos D.
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by Carlos D. »

There's a further approach, which I prefer. Of course, it works only for transferring files.

Set up a small FTP server (like FileZilla Server) or HTTP file server (like HFS) at the host. Then, you can access the host's server from the guest and access the configured shared resources. Luckily, Win95 supports TCP/IP.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

And get a hold of an FTP client for Win95. You do *not* want to do it from the Command Prompt (MS-DOS window). I've done it, it's a real major pain. The FTP solution is a lot more convoluted compared to the shared folders, or even the USB one, that's why I left it out of the potential solutions. It's a lot more of a headache to set it up, compared to the SMB shares...
dgsmith1228@gmail.com

WOW ! :)
Thanks people! Looks like I have my work cut out for me.
I'll be on that computer later today and I'll let yinz know.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

If you can get your hands on Win98 SE (second edition) it's a much smoother sailing compared to Win95... Good luck, and make some extra coffee, it might come in handy ;)
dgsmith1228@gmail.com

Well I have the Host Adapter installed and I have selected a folder on my Guest machine to share, and opened all permissions. In chapter 6.7 on Host Networking I read the following....
Before you can attach a VM to a host-only network you have to create at least one host-only interface, either from the GUI: "File" → "Preferences" → "Network" → "Host-only network" → "(+)Add host-only network"
. Now if this is saying that the last step is to check Add host-ony network, then I have an issue because the only choice I had was NAT.
What now?

Carlos... your idea seems viable, however it is well beyond my skills. Thanks

Tried Win98 on another computer and I'm stuck on the start page :(

Much Appreciated
Dave
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You have to create a HostOnly network. That varies, depending on your version, before or after 5.2. You didn't mention your VirtualBox version (you should always do that with software), so you'll have to read the manual for the exact details...
dgsmith1228@gmail.com

I have ver 5.2
'I'll look into that.
Thanks again :)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

dgsmith1228@gmail.com wrote:I have ver 5.2
OK, then top-right side of the VirtualBox Manager » Global Tools » click on the downwards arrow » Host Network Manager » Create (on the left). Accept the defaults.

Then VM Settings » Network » Attached to: Host-Only network » drop-down menu Name: select the network that you created in the previous step, if not already selected.
dgsmith1228@gmail.com

Thanks for all your help. But I have decided to give up on this deal. I was just playing around anyway.
Dave